Radials, 1931 Transcontinent

Povertycove

I've been considering replacing my 650x19 bias tires with radials, but I can't seem to find any information on how radials do on the full elliptical suspension of a Franklin. The geometry of the Franklin suspension seems like radials might make an improvement over the bias tires, but there seems to be little if any information on them. I run bias tires on my Lincolns and Chryslers, but these Franklins are so very different. Any experience with running radials on a series 15?

Thinking that way also but wonder if there is another vendor to consider; Cokers $300 price seems high, but bias is $200. Sure is expensive. I have old tubes in cracked tires that have not leaked any in about 10 years and wonder if they can be used in radials; used to have to get thicker radial tubes? Have you run 'Slime' in tubes??

Believe Tom has been running Michelin Radials in his.

Some questions come to mind regarding radials.

Would you be able to get the same sidewall height? if not then the car would have a lower top speed and with my 3 speed gearbox that would be a big no-no.

Would radials reduce some of the wander that cross ply give?

We have speed bumps in the centre of the road here in the UK and when travelling over them the car gets thrown to one side if you dont hit it straight on, but that might not anything to do with the type of tyre or does it?

I've been thinking of trying the new radials from Coker, specifically to improve stability. I have worn out the Michelin bias tires in 15,000 miles. Well, I suppose there is another 5,000 miles in them.

I am not afraid of running the radials, but could not recommend them to others with any data backing up my thoughts. Weak links are likely to fail. Poor wheels and poor lock rings are a problem. But having driven sideways on Franklin wheels (although not on purpose) I would try them, knowing my wheels are excellent

HOWEVER, they are smaller and I'm not sure I want to give up any ratio advantage.

I have heard of wheels failing when radials were installed. 810/812 CORD wheels are one mentioned, but they crack and fail with bias ply, so I'm not sure. Other failures were steel wheels riveted together. Drop/center wire wheels on big classics run them a lot with no problems that I'm aware of. I would feel safer knowing I can stay in my lane on rutted pavement.

Dont take my advice, for none is given, but I might order one sample to see how they look on my 153.

Tom

I have the Michelin Radials on my 29 130 they where purchased from Coker several years ago. They are mounted on wood wheels. I can tell everyone that I would never go back to bias ply tires. The radials are expensive but the ride was so much better that people riding in the car noticed the difference. I think it would be safe to say that it cut the road groove wander in half. I have almost 10,000 on the car since I installed them and the wheels are still tight. I am planning to install them on the 32 that I am restoring now. The only thing that Is holding me back is some are telling me to go with 7 x 19s instead of 6.5 x 19. my concern is will the extra with fit into the side mounts?

What concerns me is the 30.9" diameter and the skinny tread at 4.5"; compare that to 33.4" & 5.6" for Firestone 700x19; haven't calculated but that is probably 500+ RPM difference. Looks like they could make a radial at 32.25" & 5" that is generally 650x19--now that would be excellent & worth $100 diff. But the 700 won't go in fender wells nor in an original tire cover. Alas--alas

I think they are 6.0 x 19 I will have to look. Too many tires in the last few weeks! they were the proper size for the car so either 6 or 6.5. look at my profile and the picture of the car is posted with the radials on it.