Need help re 1926 McLaughlin-Buick Model 2627

Guest brock2627

Guest brock2627

Hello and greetings from Ontario, Canada.

First post on this forum, I am a member on several other car forums and truly appreciate the knowledge and wisdom of the people that share their passion for automobiles with others.

I'm in need of information regarding a 1926 McLaughlin-Buick, Model 2627. A few days ago my uncle contacted me about a car that a friend of his is must reluctantly sell, he's going to be 90 years old, which isn't the problem, the Ministry is not going to renew his drivers license and this has forced this decision on him.

At 89 this gentleman (George) is very sharp, his memory about Canadian history and especially about his prize possession is remarkable. He was recounting his purchasing the car from his brother who was the second owner of the car. George's brother purchased, actually bartered the car from the original owner in exchange for helping the original owner - farmer in Saskatchewan, Canada work his land.

George brought the car from Saskatchewan to Ontario back in the early 30's. Some time later he began a restoration on the car, work he did himself. The way he talks about how he did the work as he proudly displays photos taken during the process from sewing the fabric while re-upholstering the seats to re-working the wooden floor boards is amazing.

I have been a car guy for 32 years, I specialize in vintage & classic Porsche's, however, I know nothing about this car other than what I have been able to learn from a general internet search. I spoke with a fellow member of this board who directed me to this Buick - Pre War forum.

Any information regarding the significance of this car and approximate value given the current condition as a driver car in very nice condition, say a 3 using a price-guide scale of 1 - 5, or a 6.5 out of 10?

I will attempt to post a few images of data plates and serial numbers in hopes that this will help with my request.

Thank you for your input on this effort to determine a fair market value for this car.

Regards,

Mike

post-93616-143141913634_thumb.jpg

post-93616-143141913566_thumb.jpg

post-93616-143141913578_thumb.jpg

post-93616-143141913605_thumb.jpg

post-93616-143141913614_thumb.jpg

post-93616-143141913624_thumb.jpg

post-93616-143141913644_thumb.jpg

The 1926 model 27 is a "Standard Six" using the 207 ci six cylinder. I can tell you that there were 12344 McLaughlin-Buicks built for 1926. There will be slight variations from US Buicks, but I don't have any knowledge of what to expect for that year.

In a year old price guide I have handy, a #4 shows at $5200, #3 at $11700, and #2 at $18200.

Any idea what part of Saskatchewan it came from? I grew up north of Saskatoon. My understanding (from my departed father) was that there weren't many high end cars in rural SK in the early days. At one time, GM of Canada did have a plant in Regina, but I don't believe they ever assembled Buicks there.

Welcome to the forum from Winnipeg. If you are looking at helping George get a fair price, you may want to get in touch with the McLaughlin-Buick Club of Canada. If nothing else, an ad in the club publication may help get the car exposed to locals who may be interested.

Before seeing the price guide I put an estimate on it around $13, but you really have to see and touch the car, or have many more pics. So it is just a guess. McLaughlins are very popular in Canada. Folks in the USA do not know much about the company. In 1926 McLaughlin had actually become GM of Canada.

You might want to contact Henry Eggengoor. He is a long time McLaughlin Buick owner and member of the club in Canada. He is also vintage car appraiser so he had a very good idea of a cars worth. His contact information is oldcarsforever@yahoo.ca He lives in Orillia, ON. Telephone 705 327 1735, Cell is 705 331 1735. I know that he would be more than happy to give you some general figures for the car.

Guest brock2627
The 1926 model 27 is a "Standard Six" using the 207 ci six cylinder. I can tell you that there were 12344 McLaughlin-Buicks built for 1926. There will be slight variations from US Buicks, but I don't have any knowledge of what to expect for that year.

In a year old price guide I have handy, a #4 shows at $5200, #3 at $11700, and #2 at $18200.

Any idea what part of Saskatchewan it came from? I grew up north of Saskatoon. My understanding (from my departed father) was that there weren't many high end cars in rural SK in the early days. At one time, GM of Canada did have a plant in Regina, but I don't believe they ever assembled Buicks there.

Welcome to the forum from Winnipeg. If you are looking at helping George get a fair price, you may want to get in touch with the McLaughlin-Buick Club of Canada. If nothing else, an ad in the club publication may help get the car exposed to locals who may be interested.

Thanks Derek, I appreciate the information you have provided. I do not know but I could ask where in Saskatchewan George is from. I believe from the data plate on the car that this particular vehicle was produced in Oshawa, Ontario but I could be mistaken?

i shall visit the McLauhlin-Buick Club of Canada site for more information and reach out to someone there for additional help.

Thanks again for your input,

Regards,

Mike

Guest brock2627
According to the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada membership roster (MBCC Accelerator, March/April 1997, Vol. 26, Issue 5, page 26), at that time it was owned by George Geber of Niagara Falls, ON. Sounds like he still owns it. Buick did build cars at the Regina plant, I think the last year was 1941.

Hello Sean, yes it is the same George, he still owns the car and displays it with great pride. As I said in my original post he has decided to sell the car and I have met with him and his daughter to offer my assistance. I appreciate the guidance offered and will continue to pursue the leads provided. Hopefully someone will have interest in buying and keeping the car in Ontario?

Thanks again,

Mike

Guest brock2627
Before seeing the price guide I put an estimate on it around $13, but you really have to see and touch the car, or have many more pics. So it is just a guess. McLaughlins are very popular in Canada. Folks in the USA do not know much about the company. In 1926 McLaughlin had actually become GM of Canada.

You might want to contact Henry Eggengoor. He is a long time McLaughlin Buick owner and member of the club in Canada. He is also vintage car appraiser so he had a very good idea of a cars worth. His contact information is oldcarsforever@yahoo.ca He lives in Orillia, ON. Telephone 705 327 1735, Cell is 705 331 1735. I know that he would be more than happy to give you some general figures for the car.

Hi John, thank you for the information and contact information for Henry, I shall reach out to him for his professional opinion. While exploring some of the leads this morning I see that the McLaughlin Buick Club of Canada is having their spring tour this very weekend right here in my own backyard of Niagara, Ontario... Talk about serendipity. The Club will be here for the weekend and I will plan on catching up with them in hopes that I can discover more about the cars.

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Mike

Guest brock2627
Mike,

It would be great to get an interview with George recorded to document his restoration.

Have fun at the event....

Hi Mark, I had a wonderful 2.5 hour visit with George and his daughter yesterday, most of the time was spent looking over the car and George sharing details of the work he did. I must admit I was very impressed with his ability to recall how he did repairs, the time and effort to re-do the dash (with 7 coats of varnish) as well as mechanical work, it really was interesting. I bet George could talk for hours about the car, I think he only scratched the surface yesterday.

I have read a fair bit about the man behind the Brand, Colonel Sam McGlaughlin and the history of production in Oshawa, Ontario including the merger with General Motors quite fascinating.

I'm waiting to hear back from Henry Eggengoor regarding his opinion, he was kind enough to respond to my initial request and mentioned that he is planning to attend the Spring Tour. I will reply to this thread as details unfold.

I plan to call George's daughter today to let her know about the Spring Tour taking place here in Niagara, she may be available to bring George to one of the stops?

Thanks again for all the input I do appreciate it.

Regards,

Mike

A few years ago I bought a book by Heather Robertson, Driving Force, The McLaughlin Family and the Age of the Car. It is one of the best car books I ever read.

It goes back to the first McLaughlin coming over from Ireland. Can you imagine an O'Daly reading that! , but they cleared it up.

I added it to the list of Buick books in my Amazon store in case anyone is interested. The link is in my signature.

Bernie

Guest brock2627
A few years ago I bought a book by Heather Robertson, Driving Force, The McLaughlin Family and the Age of the Car. It is one of the best car books I ever read.

It goes back to the first McLaughlin coming over from Ireland. Can you imagine an O'Daly reading that! , but they cleared it up.

I added it to the list of Buick books in my Amazon store in case anyone is interested. The link is in my signature.

Bernie

Hello Bernie, thank you for the book recommendation, before this I had never heard of the McGlaughlin brand let alone the relevance to Canadian history.

Mike