I'm already getting ready for the Reatta Rally...are you?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

Just started PM'ing the car this evening. I've got quite a few "little things" to do on it before it'll be fully ready. It will probably take me a good 2-3 weekends to get it all done. Oil change, trans filter & flush, change spark plugs, Sea Foam, re-oil air filter, paint touch up, detailing, waxing, check air pressure in the tires, etc... I'm driving a long way (well, to me it's a long way) so I want to make sure everything is done in advance. Don't want any breakdowns, you know. :)

And how about you?

Edited by Kitskaboodle (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kitskaboodle

Geez, it's been over a week now and no replies. :(

Is no one getting their car ready? I feel lonelier than the Maytag repairman right about now. :(

Kit

Guest Kitskaboodle

Man, I've been busier than a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest. :)

I'm practically done now except for:

Spray/clean throttle body & butterfly opening

Check air pressure in donut spare

Make hotel reservations

Pack car for trip

Obtain a decently reliable GPS! :(

Kit

I have found the GPS/Nav system on my smartphone (AT&T carrier) far more accurate than anything on the market including the nav in my Lexus (and the nav in the 2009 Caddy must be one of GM's biggest embarrassments).

Guest steveskyhawk

I have bought and used (side by side) the best (trucker) GPS units available. (Garmin, Rand Mcnally) Both of them work well untill you cross the Hudson River into NYC. A current paper road atlas is the only way to go. I love turning the volume down low and listening to them argue which way to go when I cross the George Washington Bridge. It is comforting to have somthing to ignore.

Guest steveskyhawk

GPS is a tool only. Allowing a device to think for you is a mistake. I must admit that aviation GPS devices work very well. Approved boxes for use in IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) conditions cost (start) in the 5 figure range. They too are subject the old "garbage in, garbage out" computer rule. When paired to an autopilot it is not uncommon for one pilot to say to the other "why is it doing that?" It is pretty funny provided nothing bad happens. The best flight instructor I ever had said "a computer is a conscientious idiot; it will do whatever you tell it as many times as you told it, right or wrong." He also said you must know "every way possible to turn off the autopilot including turning off the master switch". (Everything in the plane goes dark when the master is off)

Guest Kitskaboodle

Ok, believe it or not I have never plugged my GPS into my computer and downloaded anything. Ok, so I'm lazy. At any rate I went to TomTom.com and downloaded all the latest software for my model. (XXL) I've only had the thing 3-4 years now. :( I think it's going to be ok now....hopefully no more wild goose chases. :) If it misbehaves now I'm going to toss this thing out the window and let it fall where it may. :)

Kit

Kit has inspired me (only in the slightest :)) to clean a stubborn stain on the driver's side (gray) floor mat. In the past I tried soap and water, Simple Green, Resolve and a diluted vinegar concoction my bro-in-law swears by. In total they may have taken 70% of the stain away (it was a wet grass/mud/Pistachio nut ice cream combo; courtesy of my nephew). I was talking in passing with my mother and she tells me to try hot water and then a combination of 409 & Fantastic and scrub lightly.

Per mom's advice, I put some steaming hot water on the stain. Let it sit for about five minutes then spot dry. Then with a combo (in a spray bottle) of two ounce each of 409 & Fantastic, spray the area and let it sit for another five minutes. I then took a soft brush to it, spot dry and 90% of the stain disappeared. I re-applied a second time and poof*. All gone.

Yep...always listen to your mother.

" He also said you must know "every way possible to turn off the autopilot including turning off the master switch". (Everything in the plane goes dark when the master is off)

Better to have a dark cockpit in a flyable plane as oppose to having your ticket punched prematurely by a computer that's no smarter that the remote for your TV. But, maybe it's just me. :)

John F.

Guest steveskyhawk

"Better to have a dark cockpit in a flyable plane as oppose to having your ticket punched prematurely by a computer that's no smarter that the remote for your TV. But, maybe it's just me." :)

John F.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

EXACTLY! Another gem of aviation wisdom is; "if you move a switch and somthing bad happens...return that switch to its previous position". (probably derived from an autopilot snafu)

Guest Kitskaboodle

Ok....

Hotel reservations....check!

Take car for shakedown run...check!

Re-tighten tranny pan bolts...check!

Top off tranny fluid ....check!

check oil & coolant levels....check!

Add air to space saver donut tire....check!

Replace vacuum hoses going to cruise servo...check!

Check fan belt tension...check!

Clean throttle body with cleaner spray & toothbrush...check!

Armor-All interior...check!

Dang! I'm already done and ready to go. :)

And you???