Advice on Oil Pan Gasket Assembly > extra bracket on my pan

SeanR

So I've wiped down the engine block and the pan with brake cleaner. I'm ready to install. However, I have this metal "L" shape metal bracket but I cannot remember exactly area where it came from.

Do all oil pans have this additional bracket? Or did someone add this trying to add extra "pinch" to try and resolve a leaky area? The bolt is slightly longer than the rest.

post-57130-143141895086_thumb.jpg

Also, what do you think of the internals? Seemed shiny with areas of "rust" on the crankshaft. I tried wiping them off. From what I could see on the cylinder walls, they were smooth and everything seemed not too gunked up. The chain felt tight.

post-57130-143141895119_thumb.jpg

Sean, I don't remember my '88 having that bracket but maybe it did. This may be coming late but if you don't have it already, you should consider using the more expensive gasket like the one in the link below. I know you don't want to take the time to order it but you should consider getting one locally if you can. They seal much better than the standard gaskets.

Fel-Pro OS30522T Oil Pan Gasket Set - The Reatta Store

Sean, I don't remember my '88 having that bracket but maybe it did. This may be coming late but if you don't have it already, you should consider using the more expensive gasket like the one in the link below. I know you don't want to take the time to order it but you should consider getting one locally if you can. They seal much better than the standard gaskets.

Fel-Pro OS30522T Oil Pan Gasket Set - The Reatta Store

I already have that one! :) I just need to know about this odd bracket thing.

Looks like it goes by where the oil fiter is, looks like its flat with a few bolt holes in it, the way the oil filter/housing is one or two of the bolt are in accessable, fit it on the pan where the filter goes and you should be able to see where it lines up

Looks like it goes by where the oil fiter is, looks like its flat with a few bolt holes in it, the way the oil filter/housing is one or two of the bolt are in accessable, fit it on the pan where the filter goes and you should be able to see where it lines up

Thanks! That's exactly what it's for. It's a bridge pinch for the inaccessible bolt hole by the oil filter

So far so good I think. I ran the car for over 20 minutes and didnt see any leaks develop. How soon would I see seepage?

Ronnie,

Do you think it would be a good idea to at least mention this additional pinch bar in the journal? It caught me off guard. Perhaps only the 889's have it?

So far so good I think. I ran the car for over 20 minutes and didnt see any leaks develop. How soon would I see seepage?

Ronnie,

Do you think it would be a good idea to at least mention this additional pinch bar in the journal? It caught me off guard. Perhaps only the 889's have it?

Next time I have mine jacked up I'll check it out and try to get some photos. I'm surprised I don't remember that bracket but I don't doubt it is there. It's not been too many months ago that I put the new style gasket on my car. I have read that there are more than one oil filter adapter on the 3800s. Maybe that makes a difference if the bracket is or not. I hope someone else will comment on it.

They all use tyhe same PF47 filter, what is different is the angle, on the Reatta it is straight up and down, on my '92 Transport is was angled about 30 degrees. The adapter also contains the pressure relief valve which is set higher on the L than the C.