65 trunk restoration question

Rivdrivn

All first generation Rivieras used the same trunk material. It was tan with brown, black, and red threads woven in. There are close reproductions but nothing exact. The covers for the sides, the area around the hinges, and the area over the trunk release/tail lights were a grey cardboard. Check Calvin Clarks online catalog for more info. Clark's Corvair Parts - Clark's Corvair - Clarks Corvair Parts page R-14.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 1963 Riviera

Hi Steve, I will soon be restoring my trunk as well. I am looking at a few alternatives including an all over "stone guard coating". If you are to go with original look cardboard which IMO lets this elegant car down, be aware that the clips that hold it in place, hinges etc are impossible to find.....

Nick

Guest Steeleco

Hi Don.

Nice looking trunk. I take it your interior is blue? Is it vinyl? Would love to see some pictures of the interior. My 63 is White with Blue vinyl interior and T.Nugent gave me some carpet I endend up using in the trunk which makes it look similar to yours. Got any interior photos? Thanks

Steele Cooper

Guest Sayessa

Has anyone had any luck with complete trunk replacement? Mine is rusted through in places, so I was considering buying replacement panels and so far, only found them through OPGI. I know they're not a favorite company, but due to the window and trunk seals leaking the right side rear (closest to the seats) of the trunk is swiss cheese. I'm pretty sure it's past the patching stage of deterioration, although I'm hoping the two holes in the passenger compartment floor are patch-able.

Once it's patched we have to decide how to finish it. I like the carpet kits Tex_Riv63 posted, that's for sure.

Opinions are appreciated! Thanks!

I would research the part thoroughly and see if it's not a part made for another car that's close to the Riviera. It's hard to believe that OPGI would be the only one to have a this part especially made when they are reselling every other part. Proceed with caution.

Ed