boojoe

27 studebaker build

I had my 6 volt, positive ground generator rebuilt for 12 volts, negative ground by Luna Industries in Tucson, AZ. They did a good job at a fair price. Of course, I haven't started anything up yet, but it should be fine. I think I need to give them a call to figure out what to use as a regulator now.

See http://www.lunaindustriesinc.com/generator.htm

I found that a generator or starter will fit in a US Postal Service flat rate box - the cheapest way to go for shipping heavy, small stuff cross country.

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

Gary Ash told me about Luna Ind. I called today and they can do it! He said total with a regulator would be about $250. Will be in the post- off tomorrow

Bill from Luna Idus. called Thursday!! My gen is done and on its way back. The price was $230 with a regulater , sounds fair. It won't be long now!!!

• Like 1

Today was the day!!! the car moved under its own power!!  The only minor issue is I can't seem to find reverse----- Anyone know the pattern for a Studebaker truck trans ?? Its a 4 speed.  The engine runs decent and has lots of power.   And the carb stopped leaking.  Soon as I figure out reverse its time for the test ride,or danger ride.

Today was the day!!! the car moved under its own power!!  The only minor issue is I can't seem to find reverse----- Anyone know the pattern for a Studebaker truck trans ?? Its a 4 speed.  The engine runs decent and has lots of power.   And the carb stopped leaking.  Soon as I figure out reverse its time for the test ride,or danger ride.

I would try moving the shifter right or left with a little bit harder force, then try going up or down. The four-speed on our 1930 Packard has reverse in the normal 1st position, 2nd is straight down, 3rd upper right, fourth lower right. The missing first gear (which many people are not even aware of) is hidden by pushing with more force to the left, then down.

I found reverse this A M   ,Its to the right and down    So today it went in both forward and reverse   Nice...

Haven't been here for quite some time The car is pretty much done .I am just trying to picture how I'm going to finish the rear of the car. I stare at it for a while and think I may have a plan but I'm having trouble putting it to metal! I saw a show on tv where a shop used a 39 ford hood for the rear and built sides. Not sure I like that .  I need to do something to cover fuel tank. I'm also having a problem with carbs, I have two but the car won't run with either one. Trying to find a decent one. It was running but way too rich. I changed carbs and now it won't run at all. I need to regroup and figure this out!! The shop is done and is working out great. Lots of room for my junk .I'm learning to use a English wheel and plannising hammer.  So far so good.

• Like 1

Today I decided to make an adaptor and put a Rochester two barrel on my 49 Studebaker motor as no one has a used carter one barrel> The motor is in my 25 speedster. Should n't be a problem, I do have a milling machine. Hope this works

Everyone seems to think that an old hood is the easy way to start a boat tail back, but I can't say I've seen many done that way that I liked. I'm sure you'll be tossing some practice runs in the scrap pile, but if you persevere until you learn how to use that English wheel and plannishing hammer I think you'll be happier in the end.

Haven't been here for quite some time The car is pretty much done .I am just trying to picture how I'm going to finish the rear of the car. I stare at it for a while and think I may have a plan but I'm having trouble putting it to metal! I saw a show on tv where a shop used a 39 ford hood for the rear and built sides. Not sure I like that .  I need to do something to cover fuel tank. I'm also having a problem with carbs, I have two but the car won't run with either one. Trying to find a decent one. It was running but way too rich. I changed carbs and now it won't run at all. I need to regroup and figure this out!! The shop is done and is working out great. Lots of room for my junk .I'm learning to use a English wheel and plannising hammer.  So far so good.

Have you tried "carbking" on this forum for a carburetor?

Yes but that didn't work out ,   I can't pay his price for a carb!! I have since I wrote gotten the engine running, was a problem with the float.

While I'm here I'll let you all know this car is for sale. It runs and you can go back in my posts to see the build and what I started with.   The price is $4000.  Let me know if your interested.

Too bad, this seems to be the way a lot of these projects end. Good luck on the sale.

Hey Joe

I'be been following your build since the beginning, it has been a source of inspiration for mine. I understand that sometimes projects need to move on, I wish you the best, and if you start another one, come back. Mine is actually a little further along than this, but things slow down in the winter!

post-130728-0-01166000-1456543140_thumb.

post-130728-0-28458200-1456543160_thumb.

post-130728-0-27622600-1456543203_thumb.

post-130728-0-81113700-1456543217_thumb.

post-130728-0-36638200-1456543250_thumb.

I like building more than driving!   Its just taking up too much room in my shop. I want to move on and rescue another car. Your project looks good ! Good luck with it  !!!!!

Hang it from the ceiling, make room, good chance after you sell, you will want it back, MAYBE. Been there, know how it feels.,

However you go, I wish you well.

Dale in Indy

Car is sold and will be headed to Michigan next week  .  Its been a lot of fun and a learning experience.  I started work on a car I've been looking for for about 10 years on and off!! Finally found a decent body.  SS 396 chevelle with a four speed!! I will be saving this one and putting it back on the road. That's what I do not a restorer, a car saver!!

The body was mostly gone when I got the car. ! two doors and the cowl. those parts are already sold as I didn't plan on using them. I would like to get a hold of the person from Michigan that bought the car as when he picked it up I couldn't find the head. My friend had the head in his machine shop and it appeared today. I am now in position of it .If you see this post by some chance get a hold of me. I have your address but no phone # .

if you still need yur wheels done,stutzman wheel shop in baltic,ohio they do great work

and a good turn around time not as expensive as the shop in pa

I used Stutzman !! excellent work and only  $200 a wheel. Honest people  He  made a mistake on the bill and sent money back to me.!! Highly recommended.

• Like 1