'89 Outside Door Handle Broken

Guest Amorfous

Guest Amorfous

Any members here have any idea on where to get a chrome, or any, replacement door handle? I searched for forum, but I only found threads that are ages old. Any help is appreciated!

88-90 Reattas had a switch on the back side of the handle assembly. '91 Reattas and other GM cars did not.

I have a good handle available. If interested email me and let me know the color of your car.

Jim

My '90 (easiest to get to) turns the lights on when you lift either door handle, doubt they would leave off passenger side.. Pretty sure all do. Could put the switch anywhere just factory is on handle.

Guest moldymac

The handle on my 96 Fleetwood looks similar to the Reatta handle. Those caddys turn the dome light on when you lift the handle, if it fits that could be a good replacement.

Only the drivers side handles had the switch. I also have lots of nice handles. With and without switches. Give me a call any time (919) 233-1973 and let me know what color you're looking for.

From my 16 years of experience with Reattas I thought this can't be right, so I went and took a picture.

Both sides have the switches.

The handle on the right is a drivers side. If you were to turn this handle around so the outside is facing you, the part where the yellow tipped rod from the latching mechanism would be to the rear of the car, making this a drivers side handle.

The others pictured are passenger side. Again turning these around puts the latch to the rear of the car, making them passenger side handles.

This was the case on all '88-90 Reattas. The '91s did not have the switch.

post-30613-143141877579_thumb.jpg

post-30613-143141877588_thumb.jpg

post-30613-143141877595_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

AFAIR the switch is just swaged on two posts on the back of the handle, I remember one Reatta in a yard that the switch had come of and was lying in the bottom of the door. Are the posts on every handle even the non-switch ones ?

Guest Mc_Reatta

Details of a Reatta door handle assembly.

post-55241-143141877618_thumb.jpg

Handle, bracket and switch assembly. Blue arrow points to metal switch mounting bracket mounted to rear of handle assy. Red arrow points to switch assembly.

post-55241-143141877615_thumb.jpg

Shows single screw that attaches switch assembly to metal bracket.

post-55241-14314187762_thumb.jpg

Blue arrow points to magnetic reed switch in fixed portion of switch assy. Red arrow points to magnet switch actuator in moving lever portion. Green arrow points to lever-handle interface, handle in closed position.

post-55241-143141877612_thumb.jpg

Shows orientation of magnet and reed switch when handle is in pulled position. Switch is electrically open when handle is in rest position, and closes when handle is pulled.

Expect metal mounting bracket and switch assy can only be obtained from a donor Reatta (or equivalent) handle assy.

If handle is broken, might be able to move bracket and switch assy to a standard handle assy. If switch assy is broken, should be able to mount a donor assy to your door handle.

Guest Amorfous

Thanks everybody, you're all really nice and helpful. In that first linked thread I found some latches I needed, on an ebay store listed.

NCReatta, thank you as well. If you read this, you can expect a call from me sometime this weekend!