1926 Superior V Over heating

I'm in need of help please. I replaced my distributor and then checked the gap on the points. The book said to gap at 1/32. Not the car over heats. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also if someone knows what to torque the head bolts to would help. The book says to just tighten evenly.

First, how does the car run other then overheating. Good, rough, same power, less power, etc

1/32 inch works out to just over .031, which sounds a bit much and may have the timing way off.

My 1933 Chevrolet 6 cyl uses a gap of .018, and most of the other cars I own with points use gaps in the same range. Even my 1962 Triumph TR4 4 cyl uses a gap of .014 to .016 inches.

If you don't know what the point gap as prior to the new point and it had been increased significantly when you set it at .031, and this would change the timing. If the car is original, it should have the manual timing advance lever, do you need to put it in a different position for the engine to run smoothly.

I know when timing is off even just a few degrees the engine can overheat. I had that issue with my 1933 Chevrolet years ago.

Assuming nothing else was changed from before the car overheated until now you may want to decrease the gap, assuming nothing else changed.

As far as the head bolts, you my what to see if my can find a repair manual that covers 1926 Chevrolets. If you don't have a good service manual, Ebay or some of the antique auto literature venders may have one. I did an Ebay search of "1926 Chevrolet manual" and one came up that has a yellow cover, sold by "Faxon Auto Literature", that looks like the 1925/1926 version of one of my 1933 Chevrolet manual. The 1933 version is excellent.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

Thank you for replying to my post. I got the gap spec from the service manual. At idle, the car runs fine, but it sputters badly when I try to accelerate. The manual timing advance has no effect. I'll try and close the gap down to.016.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really sure what it was, but when I put the old distributor back in, the overheating issue went away. As far as I could tell, the distributors were exactly alike. The gears had the same number of teeth. Thank you for your assistance.

I'm in need of help please. I replaced my distributor and then checked the gap on the points. The book said to gap at 1/32. Not the car over heats. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also if someone knows what to torque the head bolts to would help. The book says to just tighten evenly.

Head bolt torque is 50 - 55 lbs.