Starts but not for long

Gwood

I have a 1949 dodge coronet. I finally got it started and let it idle for about 20 minutes. I then test drove it around the parking lot. Now it doesn't start very easy and when I do get it started it's just for a few seconds, also I have to wait about 10 minutes before I try again. Any help would be great.

If you don't see a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb then you don't have one. Yes, a very hot coil is no good. I would still be leaning towards fuel delivery because it starts and quits then starts up again. I would disconnect the line as previously stated and see how steady the squirts are while cranking the engine. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE COIL WIRE FIRST!

If you have any rubber hoses in your fuel line be sure they are in good shape inside and out. Sometimes they look fine from the outside but are broken down or crumbling on the inside. Also any kinks in the line or vapor locking from your fuel line running too close to exhaust or another heat source.

Edited by Silverdome (see edit history)

If you don't see a fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carb then you don't have one. Yes, a very hot coil is no good. I would still be leaning towards fuel delivery because it starts and quits then starts up again. I would disconnect the line as previously stated and see how steady the squirts are while cranking the engine. BE SURE TO REMOVE THE COIL WIRE FIRST!
When doing cranking tests and you don't want spark then it is best to kill the spark. Removing the coil wire wont do that. Rather pull the coil wire from the distributer leaving it in the coil on the other end and ground it solidly. Then you wont have to worry about spark jumping out of the coil is search of a ground.

Today I got it running. I had to pour a little gas down the carb, it fire up but only a short time which told me it was fuel related. After unhooking the gas line to see if it was pumping, I noticed very little gas but then it started pumping pretty good and it was fine after that. Maybe air in the line or some debris. At this point not sure. Thanks for the help everyone, Glenn