Spark Plug Removal - '58

highcking

Gents - as you know, plugs on '58s (also '57s and other nailheads) are recessed into the block. No problem - except that on my "new" car, a previous owner sprayed plenty of green paint into the plug cavities. Result is that none of my 13/16" sockets will squeeze between the paint and the plug body. I tried tapping the socket in with a small hammer - with predictable results. It was hard to get back out and hadn't touched the plug. The plugs fire, but I think they may have been in there a long time.

Ideas?

Bill

Luray, VA

Guest NikeAjax

Huh... what-if... you took a small slot-tip screw and, um, chiseled the paint out?!?!?!? Seems like a real pain in the (expletive deleted) to have to customize a tool like that: what if you need to pull a plug and you're in BF Egypt without said tool? I see RAGE in your future... You might be able to use an awl, or ice-pick if the screw driver is too big to fit... Take the time to do it right, you'll be happy you did later!

Just a thought,

Jaybird

Guest kaycee

I've used my old Snap on for years on tons of nailheads and never had a problem other than maybe an old "greased up" engine.

kaycee