tail lights and trailer wires

RivVrgn

Yes, thats right I said trailer wires. I'm sure this was state of the art then, but...... I had a trailer hitch of some kind mounted to my car sometime in the past. It consisted of 1/4 inch angle iron welded about 12 inches or so up the side frame rails and all the way across the back frame rail from side to side. a wiring harness of some sort with a plug on the end spliced into the tail light harness. Safe as could be I'm sure.

Anyway, have since removed everything. There was a wire grounding the harness to the body. Now my tail lights are not operating properly. My question is was that wire there before the trailer wires? Did I remove a factory ground? It sounds like a bad ground but if that was supposed to be there I will replace it first. Should the brake lights work with the key off? I probably just disturbed 40 years of connections and just need to clean everything real good.

Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated since its getting that time of year. Thanks. Joey

I have to assume that you're talking about the '65 in your signature line. If the '65 is like the 63's and 64's, the ground is through the housing and the body. Lot's of problems have occurred on other cars because of poor grounds and folks with add a different tail lamp socket (three wire) with a specific ground wire and then find a good ground for those new wires. If I were you, I would connect a wire to the housing and ground it and see if that cures your problems. If so, leave it attached or replace the sockets with new three wire socket so you'll have dedicated ground. If someone replaced the original metal sockets with plastic ones, you'll need a dedicated ground wire.

Ed

I have to assume that you're talking about the '65 in your signature line. If the '65 is like the 63's and 64's, the ground is through the housing and the body. Lot's of problems have occurred on other cars because of poor grounds and folks with add a different tail lamp socket (three wire) with a specific ground wire and then find a good ground for those new wires. If I were you, I would connect a wire to the housing and ground it and see if that cures your problems. If so, leave it attached or replace the sockets with new three wire socket so you'll have dedicated ground. If someone replaced the original metal sockets with plastic ones, you'll need a dedicated ground wire.

Ed

Thanks Ed, Yeah this is my 65. I removed the bumper to get the angle off. while off I removed the lights and lenses to clean them. Put them back and I have brake lights (with key on is this right) but no tails. Replaced bulbs today to start fresh.I guess the ground I removed was not a Buick ground but someone might have done it to remedy this problem. Can I ground a wire that goes to all lights or does it have to be each one? thanks

Got them working. Not really sure, I cleaned everything real good, replaced the bulbs and rewrapped the wires I cut to remove the trailer plug. I think my wrap job wasn't insulating enough. Plus I don't think the lights have been removed for ages. Thanks for all the input as always.