crosley

Guest sz6ph8

Guest sz6ph8

Help I'm in danger of buying a 1941 crosley victory. I need to know if parts are even available? It is a 1941 with a 6-volt system., My concern is if I need anything, will I be dead in the water even say I if need a radiator, voltage regulator alternator ets? Is it like a model a where there is a source for parts. Even like say a engine?

Thomas M. Ellis

stingrayguy46@aol.com

THANK YOU

Guest sz6ph8

thank youa

Hang in there, Thomas. We have a Crosley guru on the forum. He will see this post soon, I would think.

Ben

Guest Commodore

Well, you will not be dead in the water if you need a radiator because a 1941 Crosley did not have one. They were air-cooled.

Sorry I only check in once a day normally and the other Crosley people on the forum probably are on the same schedule. As Commodore already pointed out the Prewar Crosleys were air cooled so all cooling parts are not a problem as the cooling blower is part of the engine. Also has a generator not an alternator. Prewar Crosley parts are harder to find than postwar but most can be found, it just takes a bit longer sometimes. Depending on what your intentions are for the car you may want to resist, they are a small slow car not something you would jump in and go any distance and certainly not at speeds over 40mph or so. They are fun and draw a lot of attention but the postwar Crosley is more road worth (everything is relative guys).

I have never owned one so I can get in to particulars but Dave, our Crosley Auto CLub president, has one and can probably give you better information when he jumps on. They renamed the standard Convertible Sedan, as the war came closer to, Victory Sedan as they tried to get more patriotic. This link will give you some Prewar Crosley details.

If you get serious we have a club message board that has several Prewar owners that can probably help.

Guest sz6ph8

ok that shoots that one out the window, really appreciate your knowledge. how complicated is this 2 cylinder convertible? i think its the victory model year 1941. How would I determine a fair market price? Would you recommend hiring a appraiser to review it? It's 2200 miles away. Unit hasn't ran in 5 years, but did then. The son doesn't want to invest the time nor $ getting it to run. Seems to have nice paint, interior and overall condition appears nice. stingrayguy46@aol.com or Thomas M. Ellis 5177197710. THANK YOU

Thomas;

I am sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've been sick and since I'm finally feeling better, I used the past weekend to try to get caught up with all the stuff that hasn't gotten done for the last month. I guess my first question is where are you?? We have club members all over the country that would be happy to help you with a Crosley. I have a 1941 convertable coupe that is probably the most fun for me of all my Crosleys to drive around.(I guess that is why I haven't restored it yet). As far as being a Victory, I have heard that term used generically for a lot of 41 and 42 Crosleys, but I think it is only correctly used for the the Victory Sedan which was a hardtop (Crosley's first). Parts are available, however somewhat more difficult than the post war cars. We have one club member that has purchased an inventory and when I talked to him last August was planning on using them as the basis for a retirement business specializing in prewar Crosleys. There are also a couple engine builders in the country that will rebuild them. I just had mine done last year. You won't find replacement body parts unless you buy used ones from a parts car. I sold a whole batch at Wauseon last year. Certain ones are hard to find. If you write me privately, I can advise you on the tough stuff. I'd love to see a picture of what you are buying. Price??? My stock answer on price on a Crosley is...it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it and a buyer is willing to sell it for. I have seen complete cars change hands for something in the 1,000 range and a couple of months ago, I say a rare Parkway delivery (a 41) that was incomplete and needed the engine replaced sell at auction for 10,800. All that being said, if I can get some more information, I'll try to give you a fair number for the car.