Deal of a Lifetime! 2 1941's a 1949 Roadmaster and a Fifth Wheel

Guest BJM

My wife was off by one state. She said this must be an Arkansas ad.

2 x 1941 Buick 2-door Special Sedanettes

I have two 1941 Buicks - one could be restored. It has been stored for several years in a 1974 Terry fifth-wheel that was converted to a car-hauler. The other one is for a parts car. I also have a 1949 4-door Buick Roadmaster for a parts car. All three cars and the Terry car hauler for $3,000. I do have titles for the Terry and for both '41 Sedanettes. There is no title for the '49 Roadmaster. 417-967-2193

3G43K43F75Na5L85E6d46027c4464bd7911ec.jpg

3Mc3Nf3Hc5N15H15Jbd465613254fb37113d7.jpg

I received a response from this seller. The 41 Special in the trailer is probably an SSE, meaning (to me) it's a dual carb 41 Special Sedanette. It is a dual carb car, confirmed by the seller and appears very straight and nice.

The sellers are moving to Houston, Texas and have sold everything in an auction. These cars were only offered as a package deal with no takers. I certainly would not want all 3 cars either, plus the trailer BUT it represents a good bargain for all.

I firmy believe the sellers are desperate and these cars could be had for $1000-$1500 because if they get no offers, I suspect they will have all this hauled away to be crushed and that would be a shame.

A crusher would offer probably $200-$250 per car plus another $300 for the trailer + $1000 or so. I would love to buy the SSE Dual Carb Special but can't wrap my head around a 3 car deal with a trailer.

Wow. Sounds like a deal to me. The '41 in the trailer looks like a very nice starting place for a restoration....It's a good thing I live in the suburbs and not on a few acres! :)

If you already have 5 Buicks and live in the suburbs, it may behoove you to STAY in the suburbs. You don't even have to ask how I know that....

I just spoke with the seller because I do want that 41 Special Sedanette in the trailer but I am as firm as a buyer these days as sellers are on price. The trailer requires a 5th wheel yet the seller states part of the 5th wheel 'parts' are missing to attach it to an appropriately equipped truck.

He basically wants his troubles to go away.

He stated he would sell the 41 Special by itself. This is a dual carb car and is likely an SSE and is titled. I asked him how much for the car and he hesitated. I then said "how about $1000.00 and he said no he would not sell it that cheap. He said $2500.00.

I politely stated that was too high for me and based my offer off him wanting $3000 for everything. I told him I could come up a little. Now mind you this is sight unseen and based only on the photos. I told him it would need everything and $1000 was a fair offer.

Add to that - he is located 100 miles south of Jefferson City Missouri so that's a good 6 hours away for me and means I would probably go down to my moms in Sedalia and make it a 2 day trip. So, I am out. Just updating more for human interest and topical. I always appreciate when others add actual buy/sell experiences to assist down the line on purchases.

The seller was friendly and not offended. I suspect there won't be any offers for awhile but there are hot rodders in Missouri and this may end up with a rodder. Or, after a few more months, mama will make him crush them and a yard will offer $500 to take it all away. In fact, there is a yard down that way in Cabool, Missourui many of us have visited that would take these but probably the offer would be $500.

That's where I see this deal headed.

Did you grow up in Sedalia? I have several extended family members there.

Nope. My mom relocated to Columbia, Missouri in 1992, I followed and went to Mizzou. She met a fellow from Sedalia and got married, so they have been in Sedalia from 1997 to date. We go down 3-4 times a year but it's a 5 hour drive.

I lived in central Missouri from 1994 to 1998, then got married and moved to central Iowa.

Jake,

You stated originally this was a "deal of a lifetime", and it does seem to be. The problem is to get all the cars and get someone to either haul away the trailer, it would take a few trips. As has been said before, if it were closer to home, I would jump on it.

John

This is a perfect example of a Buick Rescue Service mission. I swear, if I was closer I would have these in my possession already, trying to find a good home for them. Someone who believes in the mission needs to buy these and give them a safe place to stay until they can get passed on to their adoptive family. What a shame it would be for these to stay abandoned. Buy them with the mindset of not restoring them yourself, but to make them available at the lowest cost possible for someone else to enjoy. Your payback would be the feeling you get and the smile on your face for knowing you rescued them. That's what I'd like to see.

Jake,

You stated originally this was a "deal of a lifetime", and it does seem to be. The problem is to get all the cars and get someone to either haul away the trailer, it would take a few trips. As has been said before, if it were closer to home, I would jump on it.

John

That, as they say, is the rub. This is very common. As I search Craigs List often I see the most depressing situations such as a once fantastic car now reduced to parts, and interest is lost and he just wants the car gone, out of his life. I have even done that, but my description is honest and price expectations are greatly reduced.

This guy really thinks that he is going to find a needle in a haystack. That is, that one fellow that wants 3 cars and a decrepid horse trailer that requires a fifth wheel in your truck bed and the attachment on his trailer is incomplete! And he wants $3000 for it.

They have sold the property this sits on, so they MUST move it, period. That means he will have to see them go to a salvage yard.

It disappoints me that he will allow this to happen, but I have learned that's the way it is. When it goes to a salvage yard, probably for $500 for the whole mess, then the salvage yard might pull the 1941 Special Sedanette off to the side and put a $7500 price tag on it and crush the rest.

Then 5-6 years from now they will put it on craigs list, same price, except it will have endured 6 winters, 200 + inches of Missouri rain, humidity and scorching heat.