Convertible Top Question

lugnuts

On my '90 convertible, there is a separation of the vinyl from the rear window at the lower edge. The separation is about 16 inches long. My first thought was to use 3M Trim Adhesive to bond the vinyl to the window, but I don't want any bleed-through of the adhesive staining the vinyl.

Has anyone dealt with this issue, and if so how did you handle it?

Thanks,

Ed

Guest riverguy

Marine-grade epoxy. I did a repair this way on a Mustang top 20 years ago, and it's still holding up today. Of course, be very careful in application so it doesn't squeeze out.

Gary, Did the Rhino glue cause any discoloration of your vinyl top?

Thanks for the information.

NO, but then...my top is black. BTW, Rhino glue can only be purchased on-line, and is not to be confused with "monkey glue"

Guest Corvanti

i repaired about a 5 inch separation on my (at the time) '95 Mustang GT white conv top with a waterproof clear contact cement *used very sparingly*!!! i used hand pressure for about 15 minutes until it "set". no bleed through...

you really don't have anything to lose to try one of the repair suggestions posted. if the repair is not to your satisfaction, then visit one of our friendly vendors here or on "ROJ". :)

On my '90 convertible, there is a separation of the vinyl from the rear window at the lower edge. The separation is about 16 inches long. My first thought was to use 3M Trim Adhesive to bond the vinyl to the window, but I don't want any bleed-through of the adhesive staining the vinyl.

Has anyone dealt with this issue, and if so how did you handle it?

Thanks,

Ed

An update on the question I posted in case others have a similar problem. At the recommendation of a friend, the repair was made using a product made by Permatex called "The Right Stuff". It comes as a foam and/or in a tube that is used in a caulking gun. We used the tube. It is actually a gasket material, but my friend also uses it as a strong adhesive in his business. It is black, but there is no bleed thru on my tan roof.

Of course, the real test will come when the roof is lowered and raised a few times.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions.