Fuel rail question

DAVES89

When my buddy was putting the fuel rail back in he noticed [after we replaced the O Rings] that there was little split flat washers on the outside edge next to the O Rings. As luck would have it I had an extra fuel rail that I picked up from that guy in Indianapolis. We were able to use those washers. Question I have is that AutoZone had no idea what I was talking about, so were they really needed?

Or do I pick them up at a Buick dealership?

I would think one of the injector reconditioning places could supply what you are looking for. I am assuming you are talking about the end that inserts in the intake manifold? I looked at a stock injector and there are two small spacer rings, one on either side of the O ring. The upper one appears to be solid and somewhat thinner than the the lower split ring. I thought they might be to reduce the clearance between surfaces to compress the O-ring a little more but they just appear to be spacers to locate the O-ring where desired. The metal cap on the end is threaded and can be removed (it is tight or threadlocked) to install non-split rings. You might consider sending a set of injectors out for reconditioning as a spare set and perhaps have the missing part(s) replaced.

2seater your description is correct. I am looking for the 6 split ring washers that are on the "business" end of the injectors. As luck would have it between the two rails I had enough washers to do the job.

I would be interested in sending my back up out to be ready should I need them. Where would I send them? And are all year injectors the same? Also about how much would I be charged for this service? And lastly they would have all the washers and replace them?

I have used these guys several times with no issues as well as purchase of some of their electronic components. Actually I have met the owner several times at Buick events. There are certainly other services out there and I would think you would need to contact them if a particuar level of service is needed.

Specializing in automotive interconnect and wiring systems

Regarding the question of them being needed, I do not know. Since the manifold is drilled straight through, with no sort of step for it to seat against, it would depend on where the O-ring ends up when installed. The cap on the end is quite small, and may not provide enough of a stop to keep the O-ring from being sucked off the end? It is not uncommon for the O-ring to be pulled off the injector when removing after many years of service. I suspect the rings are not commonly available at a FLAPS due to low usage. I have several different styles(brands) of injectors and the stock ones are the only style I have seen personally that use that particular arrangement.

Dave,

The reason I askedis because I once replaced the seals (O-rings) as well as the plastic washers on my '89 Riviera. The washers were banana yellow. The color may be a size guide (yellow for this size, brown for that size etc. I don't know for sure.

I searched high and low for replacement rings. None of the flaps had them or knew what they were. I ended driving to Crown Point, IN. (about 15 miles from me) to a NAPA store that had them. That's all I got to say about that.

John F.

Guest Mc_Reatta
Dave,

The washers were banana yellow. The color may be a size guide (yellow for this size, brown for that size etc. I don't know for sure.

At one time there was a movement to color code o rings based on material/

application. Yellow would have indicated a ring made from FLUOROSILICONE or HYDROGENATED NBR recommended to be used gas/fuel systems.

The movement was not adopted by the industry, so most o rings are black no matter what they are made from.

At least many of the rings meant for use in AC systems still are made in a green color.

A good reference guide to o-rings can be found here if anyone's interested:

http://www.parkerstoresakhalin.com/prod/uplot.pdf

Just got back from the Buick dealership and it looks like there has been a change in the fuel rail washer situation. It appears that now a plastic sleeve goes on the rail end and then the O ring is installed over the sleeve. The G.M. #19178978 sells for $29.08 Or you can go Dorman and the part#90101 sells for less then $8.00