1931 Plymouth PA

Patricks31ply

After many hours and $$$ I finally was able to take my 31 PA for a good drive! I found in the process of getting her running that the intake manifold had developed cracks but was able to find a NOS replacement. When I first brought the car home from NE Ohio I had a challenge. While my Father In-Law (RIP) had started the restoration he passed before the car was complete. It seemed that everytime I made a repair to get her running something else would "pop" up. Blown head gasket, distributor worn, fuel tank leaks, cooling system, and on and on. I did "flip" the intake and installed a Rodchester carb to just get her going. This helped as I found the head gasket problem and many other issues. I did have my original Carter carb professionally rebuilt a week ago. So now the manifold is back to original and she purr's with the rebuilt carb. This car is trully a joy to own and I look forward to passing her on to my son one day. 82 years in our family with many more to come:-) I will include a couple pictures of the carb and a front shot of her post-88926-143141810256_thumb.jpg

post-88926-143141810237_thumb.jpg

My wife's Great Uncle purchased the car new in NE Ohio, 1931. He later died in service during the war and the car was parked in one of the barns on the property. Years later, roughly 1985 my Father in-law drug her out to start the restoratation. He and his best friend Tom took her down to the frame and began a frame up restoration. The goal was not a top of the line restoration rather to have a fun car to drive and show every so often. in 1998 my father in-law passed and Tom continued the rebuild. Tom presented the car to us this past summer in Ohio. We brought her home to AZ, Apache Junction (east of Phx). I only had limited car skills but with the help of my uncle and many 12 hr days we started the mechanical part of the rebuild. The car "looked" great but mechanicaly need lots of work. So I now have a running, driving, car. Still needs TLC and some mechanical issues worked out but much fun to drive down the road. Thx, Patrick

That's pretty interesting to me.

The goal was not a top of the line restoration rather to have a fun car to drive and show every so often.
This is good; more people should follow that plan, as more cars would get out on the road...and sooner, before it's too late. Just a stop at a gas station might turn into a long chat, though :)

• 2 months later...
Guest Gupsonite

Nice job on the car, beautiful! I now have my grandfathers 1931 plymouth roaster. Was wondering where you picked up the air cleaner on your carb? Thanks!

Nice job on the car, beautiful! I now have my grandfathers 1931 plymouth roaster. Was wondering where you picked up the air cleaner on your carb? Thanks!

I got an air cleaner exactly like that from a VW parts shop. It fit perfectly.

I went to K&N filter (google) after I measured the carb diameter. Then selected the size that fit! AWSOME air cleaners that are washable. I know it's not even close to original but figured I had to protect my investment with quality. Price was maybe $40 delivered to the house! Thanks for the nice comment!

I checked the filter, no model or ID number. Checked my email for past orders but could not find order history. I just measured the diameter of the carb and went to K&N website then looked up filters, sorry, can't offer much more at this time. I have found from 29 to 32 all engine parts are the same for what it's worth. The build cards Chrysler offers are much fun. I sent away for mine and received a bunch of information for a 33 Plymouth!! Stupid me, I had one number off on the serial number! Since then I have sent them a letter again with the correct info. I will scan it all once I receive it any day now. I did mention in the letter the fact that my wife said I was a knuckle head and so kindly pointed out my error:-) I hope you enjoy the 32 for many years!