To slide or not to slide, that is the question. Re: Springs

Durant Mike

I know this has probably been covered somewhere, but my search did not turn up anything. I'm staring on my front axle and springs in the next couple of weeks and then on to the rear, but my question is what do most restorers do with the springs. I've heard that some leave them alone, some paint between the springs, some put graphic lube between the springs, some use a grease, and some use Poly-slide material between the springs. I'm leaning at taking them apart, painting both sides of them and then spraying them with a graphite lube on the inside. What have you used and what are the downsides to this.

It seems to me that if you lubricate the spring leaves you will get a smoother, more compliant ride but you must have good shock absorbers to control the bounce and flex in the spring.

However if your car in its stock condition does not have adequate / big enough / any, shock absorbers then it will rely on the friction between the dry spring leaves to try to control the bounce and flex.

My 1923 Metallurgique has no shock absorbers and never has had but rides OK so I would not grease the springs on it however my 1931 Rolls Royce continental has covers over the springs and oil is force fed into them to lubricate them for a smooth ride.

Because it was built by the factory for high speed touring on rough roads it also has two shock absorbers per wheel to control them. one set is hydraulic and the other set is friction type with controlling valves mounted to the dash.

Most modern cars have coil springs all around which have no friction in them at all so completely rely on the shock absorbers which now days with the aid of new technologies are very good so I think it is not so much should you grease or not but how good are your shocks..

Edited by DavidAU (see edit history)

Guest JWPATE

It would certainly seem best to take this opportunity and disassemble the spring sets, for a cleaning and examination. I believe you will find little evidence of the leaves sliding, except for the longest three or four in the sets. And, especially with the longest two leaves, you are likely to find a wear pattern on the underside, where the next shorter leaf has been sliding (whether dry, oiled or greased). Most often this wear will have formed a ridge on the underside of your top (longest) leaf, and if so then you now have the chance to grind it smooth. In the oil-fed Rolls-Royce springs which David mentioned, there were actually drillings through the longest leafs, and crow-feet style oil grooves cut into the upper surfaces. Even then, they too eventually wore enough for the ridges to form. The result, of course was a jerky spot in the spring action, when the movement occasionally went beyond the usual slide action.

I expect you will take great care to find just what the original treatment was. Probably they were just painted on the sides as you suggest. Those with leather gaiters fitted were usually only oiled (though the post-war Rolls products had the spring leaves also CAD plated). Not knowing more about the original treatment, I expect that I would do just as you are planning, except I would probably use a synthetic grease rather than the graphite.

There are always a whole lot of definitive answers from people who are usually pretty set on the answer. It is one of those questions that receives a lot of and sometimes mutually exclusive answers. When in doubt do what the owner's manual says. Mine says (1915 Olds) use a graphite based grease. I did disassemble my leaves and sandblasted and primed them but only painted the exterior. I imagine most of the primer will wear off in time. Spring action is fine and there are no squeaks. High speed touring is comfortable ( 40 to 45 mph).

How did the factory build them? That would be the first clue I would look for. It DOES make a difference. 1921 Chevrolet springs are quite different from 1955 Cadillac springs. Some had grease, some had none, some had brass sliders, some had roller bearings, some had plastic or bakelite sliders. Some were wrapped with leather, some with metal gaiters, most had nothing. In the past I have put springs together with a strip of window screen and graphite grease but today they should have something better than that.

20s Chevs had NO shocks, NO sliders, and one leaf was put in UPSIDE DOWN to create extra friction for a shock damping effect. Not recommended for most cars but correct for 20s Chevs.