Need help identifying GM colours on vintage heater and fan testing

37 Pontiac SilverStreak

Team,

I am starting a restoration an a electrical part, being new to this world, I thought I would ask my forum before I tinker... In addition, I was wondering if someone could identify the original colour of the unit...

question 1

regarding the following fan component, how do I test it... Is the long wire the positive that would go to a switch? And the short the negative? I would hate to test it on a battery the wrong way and blow a 76 year old fan.... :(

question 2

regarding the colours, the outside has never been touched, and is original, but it looks like the inside was painted, is there any way to verify its original colour for GM?

thanks in advance as always, the forum members are life saves and I appreciate all your help!

post-74294-143141804713_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143141804744_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143141804778_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143141804806_thumb.jpg

You are probably correct in your wire id. It actually won't matter which way you hook them up as long as it off the vehicle.

The color may be original although I don't know why they would choose that color.

Others will chime in soon.

Most likely a 2 speed fan. One wire is low speed, the other hi speed. Ground through the body of the motor. Is there a switch? Is it 2 speed?

If it is 2 speed connecting both wires to a battery will cause a spark but not hurt the motor if you don't leave it on. You might want to check with an ohm meter first. If both wires = 0 ohms, 1 wire to ground, 5 ohms, other wire to ground, 10 ohms, or something like that, my guess is right. If both wires = 5 homes, 1 wire to ground, infinite, other wire to ground, infinite, then your guess is right.

Thanks Rusty,

there is no switch, all there was, a motor w/ fan bolted to the middle of the coils. Sort of like a small round radiator.

very easy to pull apart to clean and paint, inspecting the actual motor part, all it has is a long wire, a short wire attached to the shell, and a second screw that is all by itself...

i am unsure about speeds, I think it's just one speed, to blow the heat away from the coils and into the car... Ill get the meter on it to check...

post-74294-143141806313_thumb.jpg

post-74294-143141806338_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Trevor, take the two bolts out, carefully separate the two halves feeding the wires through the holes. They will now be exposed to the internal connections. Unsolder these bad wires, replace them with new and like sizes. Reassemble and I would be surprised if it did not work. Most these motors seldom ever burn out the stator or rotor windings, if it still does not work then you do need a replacement. Also oil that little felt dust seal that the shaft runs through. The rewiring should only take you 30 minutes and if the motor runs you have saved $45 + shipping. Good luck in your efforts and let us know if you fixed it or had to purchase one. --Bob

Trevor, take the two bolts out, carefully separate the two halves feeding the wires through the holes. They will now be exposed to the internal connections. Unsolder these bad wires, replace them with new and like sizes. Reassemble and I would be surprised if it did not work. Most these motors seldom ever burn out the stator or rotor windings, if it still does not work then you do need a replacement. Also oil that little felt dust seal that the shaft runs through. The rewiring should only take you 30 minutes and if the motor runs you have saved $45 + shipping. Good luck in your efforts and let us know if you fixed it or had to purchase one. --Bob

Shes apart and very dirty, but it may be saved... It may be a while till I report back... Thanks

I agree with Bob, replace the wires. One goes to the motor to ground it and the other to 6V power, it is not a 2-speed fan motor( by your picture).

If you have converted to 12V you may need a 12V motor as the original 6V will turn very fast. I just did one on a 1937 Chevy pickup, same motor, same problem.