36 buick gas tank

Tom_S

My 36 Buick has set in the garage for 15 years. I hope to finally get it out and back on the road sometime this spring. I am concerned about the gas tank and residue after sitting all these years. Also, I believe it has never been taken off the car. Should I take it off and send some where for cleaning out/sealed? If so, where should I look for a reputable place to do it. It has no leaks or rust looking spots on the exterior.

Suggestions surely welcomed.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

Although you may not see corrosion on the outside, it is there on the inside. 77 years of moisture, bad gas, etc have taken a toll on the internals. And, there will be years of accumulated debris to plug your fuel system too. Removing, cleaning, and applying a tank liner is cheap insurance that will add peace of mind to your driving pleasure for years...

I have done it myself with Drano drain cleaner, pea gravel, & hot water to clean the tank before coating the inside with a tank liner. But I am just a pinch-penny shadetree mechanic. You my want to send yours out to be redone.

Guest born2lose

mark shaw that is actually a good way to do it i have done it like that many of time and got good results. they also sell good 3 step gas tank reso kit on ebay that i have used and really like too

Guest born2lose

also after braking all the debree up like mark said you can do a apple cider viniger wash inside that will help with neutralizing the rust if there is any, just make sure to rinse it out well

Guest Grant Magrath

POR 15 make a gas tank restoration kit. Or most likely, your local radiator shop will be equipped to sort your tank out for you. Cheers

Grant

Tom,

Just to add my two cents, I pulled my gas tank last spring, due to a sending unit that had lone since gone south.

I took mine to the car wash, after removing the sending unit and drain plug, and blasted her good. Mixed up a bottle of CLR and 4 gallons of distilled water, and let her "cook" for 2 days. Then back to the car wash for a good wash and rinse.

I made new tank straps starting w/ chevy S-10 straps, and welding the front hook from 14 ga. Used washer vent hose split open for the top cradle the tank fits up into.

When you put it back in, don't forget to add a BIG clear plastic fuel filter back at the tank, 'cause the fuel pick up tube does not have a filter on it. Or the one I bought from Bob's didn't.

Mike in Colorado

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

Guest CAFoster

Tom,

I just dropped my tank and removed the sender unit. I took a look inside using a small inspection mirror and fishing a small LED flashlight inside tank. The interior of the tank looked in excellent condition, there was a little of the orange deposit around the drain plug recess and on the left side, but this was not rust as it could be scraped away with a piece of copper tubing, its probably the deposit seen in carburetors left by leaded gas. I will probably just leave it alone and put a filter in the line. Dropping the tank wasn't too bad except the strap bolts sheared off trying to remove the nuts. The gas inlet pipe has to be freed from the large rubber grommet, I slid a small screwdriver between the pipe and the rubber and also used some WD40 to free it up.

Chris

Hey fellas,

Thanks for all the good advice. I collect and restore some of the old hit and miss motors and have cleaned tanks using large nuts swishing back and forth to loosen all the built rust in them. Some very bad. I can fish out the nuts with a magnet. The last time I sealed one I used some NAPA sealer that was impervious to the ethanol gas.

Chris, how long had your tank set before you took it off and looked inside. My biggest concern is that mine has set for 15+years and I know it has evaporated and may be a glob of gunk in there plus some rust. I think I will take ot off and have a look see with flashlight, etc. I have never used the oven cleaner, but that sounds like a good idea too.

Tom

I have another GM brand that was not touched for about 25 years and it was a mess. A local radiator shop cleaned, patched, and coated it. when finished, I came close to the price of a new tank. The main reason I did not tackle the project was what to do with the crap that came out.