1933 Hudson Essex Terraplane coupe

I am looking for any information from any one about the serial numbers of Hudson Essex Terraplane's that were built in Ontario Canada. My Terraplane coupe serial number does not match the ones I can find on any Hudson web site. The K models start at 364125 for the Essex Terraplane Six. My serial number starts with a C-5 and 4 more numbers and the model is a K 245

There were several models of Terraplane in 1933. True, the "K" models started with serial number 364125. But the "KU" (Special Six) models started with 50001. Since your number starts with a C5, that would indeed suggest a Canadian-built KU. How do you know that you have a "K" as opposed to a "KU"?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the model is a "K245". The model would have been a K, KU (Special Six), KU (Deluxe Six), KT (Eight) or KT (Double Eight).

Edited by Jon37 (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
There were several models of Terraplane in 1933. True, the "K" models started with serial number 364125. But the "KU" (Special Six) models started with 50001. Since your number starts with a C5, that would indeed suggest a Canadian-built KU. How do you know that you have a "K" as opposed to a "KU"?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by saying that the model is a "K245". The model would have been a K, KU (Special Six), KU (Deluxe Six), KT (Eight) or KT (Double Eight).

The K 245 is stamped just above the frame serial number in the coupe body. Some sites show the KU serial numbers start with 5001 and go to 21495 and other sites they start with 50001 Which on is right. I can seam to be able to attach a photo of the model number.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

I finally decoded the serial number for my Essex It was built on Canada and was the 407 car built. The requirements in Canada a model decoding # K245 ( K=106" wheel base Six cylinder, 2=two doors,4= four passengers and   5 = five windows.)

IMG_5205.jpg

IMG_5232.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I'm happy for you to have figured our your '33 Essex-Terraplane Model K (regardless of origin) coupe.  Good looking little hot rod there and I hope you enjoy the heck out of it.   There is still a forum for Terraplane owners on Facebook called "Terraplane SEVEN".   I founded and administered it until I left Facebook.   But point is ALL Terraplanes, whether factory stock or hot rodded were welcome there.   You'll get a lot more there than from the "club" which never responded to you.  Have fun.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Very nice car, I have a 1934 terraplane coupe five windows with a rubble seat 

with 6 engine all original,she was only repainted 40+years ago.

am restoring a1936 coupe this one was painted two tone green,we just did the 

upholstery tan,engine was also done, I keep it original with no change.

canadian terraplane my 34 and 36,

hope you enjoy your terraplane for many years.Edimage.jpg.9b0bf38d059cb979b2ce7839c9e122d4.jpg

• Like 4