1989 Ignition Module Strange!

MarkV

Well I replaced the ignition module and two questions arose. first, what is all of that green goo on the inside of the coil and ignition module? secondly, on the new module I was screwing on the last nut and the screw broke off. The other two (bottom ones) are on securely and I was able to shake the entire car by pushing back and forth the ignition module, so, I figure it is tight enough? (even without the third nut)

Just my opinion... I think it is more important to have the mounting plate surface, and the surface of the module, clean so there is good heat transfer between them than it it to have the module bolted on extremely tight. Heat is what kills the module. I wouldn't be worried about the broken bolt.

Good, I am still trying to get a new module from the seller. It was the top middle one which broke the hard to get to one and the other one are both tight. They make this stuff so weak!!
If this means only the bolts on one end are holding the module I agree with Padget and I retract my statement about not worrying about the broken bolt. With just the two bolts on one end holding there might not be good surface contact between the module and the mounting plate.

Sorry for the confusion. I read over your post too quickly and thought it meant the hard to get to bolt was the one that was broken.