24/6/45 water pump pictures

Guest tom pre

Guest tom pre

hi folks. some pictures of stuck water pump. shaft on water pump is frozen. pump will not budge. suggestions please.

post-67877-14314178385_thumb.jpg

post-67877-143141783865_thumb.jpg

post-67877-143141783879_thumb.jpg

post-67877-143141783892_thumb.jpg

Tom,

Is the pump still frozen (will not turn), or you can not remove it from the engine? I see the starter/gen has been removed, the next step is to push the gear and shaft

and bearing housing rearward rearward to remove. The housing is sometimes hard to remove, once it moves it should slide out.

JB

Guest tom pre
Tom,

Is the pump still frozen (will not turn), or you can not remove it from the engine? I see the starter/gen has been removed, the next step is to push the gear and shaft

and bearing housing rearward rearward to remove. The housing is sometimes hard to remove, once it moves it should slide out.

JB

Hi JB. the shaft of the pump is frozen plus i cannot remove it from engine. i've been tapping it from the front end, but hesitant to hit it two hard. dont want to break a gear i had it out 2 years ago for a rebuild. came out easy then but being "a bear " now.

This was my advice to Tom and as of yesterday he informed me.. GOOD NEWS!.. that he has the pump out! And nothing broken!

Tom:

My thoughts would be to try to drive the shaft out of the gear. Use a slightly smaller steel shaft and good heavy hammer (brass in case you miss.) May have to shim in back of it after retightening the packing gland and collar. This shaft should have a Woodriff type key slot (half Round). Could be who ever made the new water pump shaft reversed the gear and the wear patern on the spiral gear no longer matches. Burrs etc.

I will call since I am home.

Larry

Talked with Tom last week and he has finally removed the pump and the starter. Still not able to turn over with crank by hand. Had him take plugs out and squirt in Marvel Mystery oil and let soak for several days. Then try again with hand crank and without plugs in. He emailed last night and said it is locked up. This car was not sitting in an uneated barn for 60 years. It is in wonderful exterior condition as it was in a private collection for over 5 years. And in another collection before that. It looks as if at the time it was well restored. When he purchased it in 2010 they said they had it running.

Larry

post-79073-143141796009_thumb.jpg

Tom,

You could try rocking the car with the car in 3rd gear, the motion of forward and back may free it up.

There is a possibility the engine has a more serious problem, (sized bearing). Removing the oil pan

and checking each brg. would be next. It seems strange that the engine would lock up on rust

in such a short time. I have seen many engines that have sat for many years and not had a problem

with rust. Let us know your progress.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Tom,

First make sure the clutch is not stuck. Then check the rocker assembly to make sure everything is free or you could break a rocker arm or bend one or two push rods. Then, roll the car maybe ten feet and pop the clutch in third gear as JB suggested. This will apply enough force to break loose the engine with only corrosion issues. If this does not work, drop the pan to find your problem.

My $0.02

PUSHING THE CAR AND RELEASING THE CLUTCH IS A VERY BAD IDEA. ALL OF THE FOLKS WHO HAVE THESE MIDDLE TEENS TO MIDDLE TWENTIES BUICKS KNOW VERY WELL HOW BRITTLE THE RING AND PINION GEAR TEETH ARE. THIS IS A METALURGICAL ISSUE WITH THE GEAR MATERIAL. YOU WILL END UP WITH BROKEN GEAR TEETH AND THEN HAVE PROBLEMS TO FIX ON THAT END OF THE CAR. I WOULD BE WILLING TO GO ON RECORD AND SAY THAT THE RINGS HAVE RUSTED TO THE CYLINDER WALLS. BUICK USED CAST RINGS AT THAT POINT IN TIME. TRY PULLING THE PLUGS OUT AND LOOK INTO THE CYLINDERS AND SEE IF THERE IS RUST ON THE CYLINDER WALLS. POUR IN A COUPLE SPOONSFUL OF MARVEL MYSTERY OIL AND LET IS SET FOR AWHILE. THAT CERTAINLY WILL NOT HURT ANYTHING AND IT JUST MIGHT HELP FREE THINGS UP IF THAT INDEED IS THE PROBLEM. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA

Guest Phil Cordery
PUSHING THE CAR AND RELEASING THE CLUTCH IS A VERY BAD IDEA. ALL OF THE FOLKS WHO HAVE THESE MIDDLE TEENS TO MIDDLE TWENTIES BUICKS KNOW VERY WELL HOW BRITTLE THE RING AND PINION GEAR TEETH ARE. THIS IS A METALURGICAL ISSUE WITH THE GEAR MATERIAL. YOU WILL END UP WITH BROKEN GEAR TEETH AND THEN HAVE PROBLEMS TO FIX ON THAT END OF THE CAR. I WOULD BE WILLING TO GO ON RECORD AND SAY THAT THE RINGS HAVE RUSTED TO THE CYLINDER WALLS. BUICK USED CAST RINGS AT THAT POINT IN TIME. TRY PULLING THE PLUGS OUT AND LOOK INTO THE CYLINDERS AND SEE IF THERE IS RUST ON THE CYLINDER WALLS. POUR IN A COUPLE SPOONSFUL OF MARVEL MYSTERY OIL AND LET IS SET FOR AWHILE. THAT CERTAINLY WILL NOT HURT ANYTHING AND IT JUST MIGHT HELP FREE THINGS UP IF THAT INDEED IS THE PROBLEM. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA

After the Marvel fluid has had time to soak, & since the starter is off, I would try & move the engine by levering on the flywheel ring gear, I had this problem on mine which had a rebuilt engine left to stand, but unfortunateley left with the pistons all in a row in block, freed quite easily, Good Luck & let us know results,