1937 Spring Covers

What is the proper thing to do with the leaf springs on a 6A 1937 Studebaker with the

metal spring covers (wraps)?

The car is a inland California car that had minimal (!!) rust throughout, but has spring

covers unlike my 1937 Coupe, which does not.

Should these covers be removed?

What should I expect on these?

Thanks for any help here.

Assuming they are like the ones that used to be on my 41 they are just light sheet metal covers with a couple of zerks in them. They can probably be removed without destroying them but I had a broken spring so they were already pretty much trashed. If your springs are good I would leave them be. I have only seen one NOS set show up on e-Bay so they are pretty rare. I suspect that any mechanic back the day who needed to work on the springs just cut them off and threw them away.

Nathan

I believe the 37 service manual describes a procedure for lubricating the springs. I have the Planar suspension on my 37 and did remove the covers on that spring, cleaned and lubed the spring and then replaced the covers and tack welded them. I just left the rear springs alone.

Nvonada and SMB: I don't think I asked the question very well. Do I need to remove the covers to see if the springs are

ok after all these years, or do you think they are probably ok. I am just worried that if moisture got inside the covers, it

would probably have stayed inside and maybe "hurt' the springs. Dumb question maybe but anyone with an idea?

Guest ChampionJohn

Dr Don,

I am a rookie at this, but I was going to take mine apart to make sure that they still had good burlap in between each spring leaf. In my eyes the burlap is what is probably gone after all these years and will cause sqeeking if used heavily.

I am so glad you asked the question as I have not gotten to that point yet and wanted to hear what the experts say.

John

DD,

You will not hurt the springs. They might be bad anyway (weak or broken) but that should be pretty obvious from how the car is sitting. The covers should rust LONG before the springs do if any water gets trapped in there so that is a self-correcting problem :). All three of my springs had broken leaves which had damaged the covers so we ripped them off. This was a very long time ago and if I had it to do over I would have tried to save the covers. If you do nothing you might get some squeaking but that will not hurt anything. If you get any kind of lubricant into the covers that should keep the noise down.

Without covers my springs would squeak now and again. I used to oil them. Then I got a bright idea. When I am greasing the 200+ grease fittings on the chassis I take the extra grease and just rub it on the front spring. Redneck recycling!

You might check your shocks as well. My two front shocks were frozen and had beat the hell out of the mounting hardware. Something I should have checked years ago. The car rides better with shocks!

Nathan

Thanks to all. Makes sense that the covers would fail before the leaves. Duh.

I've been a bit spotty on being on and off this site with a bit of time in the

hospital this weekend. Surprise cardiac issue but am ok. Best to all.

Guest 37Dictator

Don I have the original metal covers on my 37 Dictator springs. This car was always stored in a garage and the springws were in excellent condition. These were usually packed with grease at the factory wjen manufactured... so if the springs were not in direct water; rain or particularly snow contact the springs should be in good condition.

Damage to the cover would indicate spring damage as indicated by nvonada. I had a 38 Commander [Canadian location] and that car sat for a number of years outside and water did get in the covers....The covers were torn apart by the water freezing and every spring except the main leaf were broken.

When I had the springs off the car I put them in a tray and soaked them in 30w oil to get some lubrication into them. During the restoration of my car I found the Studebaker Spring Lubricating Tool that is made from a C-Clamp with a Grease fitting and Threaded Barb to pierce the spring cover...The metalwrap is very tight fit to the spring so the threaded barb with pull the cover away from the spring so you can force grease in. I personally believe soaking in oil was more effective for getting lubticant between the spring leaves than the greasing tool. Also it is difficult to use the same hole when regreasing. and it generally damages the clean appearance of the spring cover. My car would be considered as a light driver so it does not get a lot of miles each year.

I have not had any squeeks in my springs over the years [i restored my car [1976-80] but occaissionally i wrap the springs with rags and soak with 30w oil. The Spring Geasing tool can very easily be made i can give you a photo and sketch if you would like to make one. I occaisionally see them at flea markets .....