1936 Dictator Sedan

Guest Pat Dilling

Guest Pat Dilling

Hello,

I am a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club, Karel Staple Chapter in Northern California. Recently our chapter participated in the Sacramento Autorama. We had a fellow make an inquiry at our information booth about value of a '36 Dictator 4 door sedan. He has a family friend whose husband passed and left what he described as a very nice car. She would like to sell it but has no idea of the value. It has always been stored inside, has decent paint, very straight and no rust. It runs very smoothly, he said you can barely hear it when it is running. It has not been driven for quite a while, so brakes would need to be checked. The car is completely original except the generator has been replaced with a 6 volt alternator. I don't recall what he may have said about the interior. The car is located in Turlock, CA.

Not many of our chapter members are versed in pre-war cars. I would like to provide some information back to him, appreciate any suggestions or insight you may have. One suggestion I was going to make is that she join the Antique Studebaker Club and take advantage of the resources you have, but that may be something she is not up to doing. I can probably get contact information if someone wants it.

thanks

Pat Dilling

Guest Pat Dilling

Wow, 77 views and not a single comment or suggestion? Somebody must have an idea to help this woman and get a classic Studebaker back on the road.

Pat

I'm one of the 77 Pat, so guilty as charged! :o Doesn't matter whether it is pre or postwar. A 54 Champion sedan doesn't attract a lot of interest, either. It is what the market will bear. The fact that it apparently runs well is a bonus. Making sure the brakes work is even better. The new owner can drive it home. Some general interest points:

First year for an all steel roof

Last year for an opening windshield

One year only instrument cluster

Interior designed by a woman - Helen Dryden

Terry

Hi, Pat.

One would assume because it is old, in good condition and of excellent quality (aren't all Studebakers?) it would hold high value. It certainly does! Unfortunately, the value does not equate to the market. Even rarity does not; nor originality. NADA says #1 value is $10,500. What do they know? Four door sedan? Buy it cheap and don't let it get turned in to a street rod...unless the build is bodacious! :D That could make a plain-jane '36 sedan worthy of worship. Stude purists who decry the adaption should step forward and make the purchase.

1936 Studebaker 6-3A Dictator 4 Door St. Rgs Cruiser Sedan Value, Prices & Specs | NADAguides | NADA 1936 Studebaker 6-3A Dictator Book Value & 1936 Studebaker 6-3A Dictator Market Price

Mr. Dilling,

Sight unseen, and by that I mean in person as compared to photos or written description, there is simply no way to tell

what it might be worth. Rust is always an issue for this old a vehicle, and "no rust" usually means "just a little rust" or something similar. The fact that it runs is great, but a nearby friend had a running 1937 Coupe Express that he decided to get an engine overhaul on, and it turned out to be a major issue. Brakes this old are always a problem, and it could easily require all new brake lines installed. Tires? If over 10 years old, they would need to be replaced, and those run about $110-$135 each. Muffler? Upholstery? Instruments? Floors? Wiring? Chrome? I paid a couple of thousand for a California parts car (Stocton area) a few years ago, and consider it money well spent for the pieces/parts I was able to recover. I have seen sedans advertised in the $10,000 + range but not many. I am afraid that it comes down to a gut decision on the part of the owner. A car is always worth what a buyer will pay and what an owner will sell for. Your question is a good one, but there are so many intangibles involved that no one can guess a value range for you. Dang- sorry. I hope you can find somebody out there who would be willing to look at it and make an offer or at least provide a ball park estimate. Maybe someone in the car club? Good Luck. ;)

Guest Pat Dilling

Thank you all for the suggestions and insight. I hope to be in contact with the owner and perhaps get a member out to look at the car and take pictures at least. I really appreciate your help.