Help a Genealogist

Guest RTFI

Since this “Star” doesn’t look brand new, the photo waslikely taken in the late 1920s. Thank you for your help. I hadn’t heard of theStar car company before, but will read up on it.

Here is a 1925 Star I had. Note that mine does not have the body line running down the side of the car. That may help narrow the date.

Best mid 20s car I ever owned; started, ran, and steered so nice. I don't know how Henry could sell the T to anyone who ever tried out a Star.

post-59419-143141758461_thumb.jpg

Since this “Star” doesn’t look brand new, the photo waslikely taken in the late 1920s. Thank you for your help. I hadn’t heard of theStar car company before, but will read up on it.

Outside of towns nearly all roads back then were unpaved. Doesn't take long for a car to start looking worn under those conditions. The body and fenders look pretty straight, it could just be dirty.

Like today, lady's clothing styles changed pretty rapidly back then so you can probably also use that to date the photo if you can find a 1920s to early 1930s fashion expert.

Actually, the daughter of one of the women in the photo is still alive and my mother-in-law (the Genealogist) spoke with her yesterday. She was happy to know the car in the photo is a Durant Star, as this information helped jog her memory. Knowing the approximate year of the car helped narrow down the time frame the photo was taken. This photo was taken in rural Georgia, where the roads were unpaved then as you mentioned.

Edited by RTFI (see edit history)

Just to be semantic, Statr and Durant were different marques owned by the same company. Like saying I have a Chrysler Plymouth.

That analogy does not quite work because there were cars actually called the Chrysler-Plymouth. Exports.

That analogy does not quite work because there were cars actually called the Chrysler-Plymouth. Exports.

I was thinking the same thing. Also the very early Plymouths in the US were badged as Chrysler-Plymouth. Maybe GM-Chevrolet or Ford-Mercury would be better analogies.

Hemmings Motor News just had one of their one page articles on the 26 or 27 Star. One model (F?) did not have the beltline but the model (N?) did. Guess they were trying to keep it intersting.