64 fiberglass wildcat

JohnD1956

John

Thanks for posting. That does not appear to be a factory 64 Wildcat color or at least it's pretty rare.

It was an interesting read but strange that the LeMay Museum was chosen, in my opinion. I have never been but it's my understanding the LeMay is so large that a person can't comfortably see all the cars in one day and 2. it's up in the northwest so it won't be seen by too many people.

Plus, although very unique, one can't really see the difference, we pretty much have to take their word on it.

Stranger things have surfaced in the last decade or so of this hobby. It does seem odd that the Lemay Museum was chosen for display when, if I read the article right, the car was in South Carolina and as you noted, the Lemay Museum is in the Northwest. But I'm sure a lot of people will be able to see it there. I'm just not sure they will be all that excited to appreciate what it is.

This car also brings to mind that fiberglass 55 that Bob Coker had bought. I have no idea how to prove it but I still think that 55 was a experimental car by GM too.

I agree, Bob's car is likely an experiemental. In fact I have not followed the posts on that car but I wonder if there has been some verification of originality.

It was an interesting read but strange that the LeMay Museum was chosen, in my opinion. I have never been but it's my understanding the LeMay is so large that a person can't comfortably see all the cars in one day and 2. it's up in the northwest so it won't be seen by too many people.

Bryan, You are confusing the LeMay Collection and Open House with the LeMay Museum. While the LeMay Collection had thousands of cars, the LeMay family opens the collection to the public the last Saturday of August. The collection is displayed between the LeMay family home and grounds as well as Marymoor which is a convent that Harold purchased to store and display his cars. During this event, the LeMay family provides double decker antique busses to transport the public between the 2 venues. It is very difficult to see everything in the day long event but I guarantee that you will come away satisfied with the time you spent. At this event, there are also numerous clubs and individuals that bring their collector cars to show on the convent grounds. It is truly a car guy's day long, epitome of heaven.

The LeMay Museum is a much different venue. It too is open to the public as well as offering docent tours to groups. Admission here is not free. I'm pretty sure it is open all year long. They display a small portion of Harold LeMay's beauties (compared to how many he had) as well as select cars from other individuals upon invitation. It is certainly well within the capabilities of most individuals to see the entire museum in a day. The Museum is also a well spent time for anyone who loves vehicles and well worth the price of admission. Museum stock is rotated to keep the display fresh and give repeat visitors something new to look at.

There are plenty of car guys here in the Northwest but this Museum was built as a tourist attaction for the city of Tacoma, Washington. So far, it has proved to be just that. Not everyone lives on the east side of the Rockies. The greater Seattle/Tacoma region actually has a very large and robust population. It is also pretty safe here as we have eliminated most of the bear attacks and Sasquatch stays pretty much in the rain forest which is a couple hours away by car. Come and see for yourself. The 2014 National will be just 3 hours south of here next year!

Greg

Edited by ol' yeller (see edit history)