Desoto Fluid Drive

Guest glenn 1157

Guest glenn 1157

I have a 1950 DeSoto Deluxe 2 door coupe with a fluid drive trans, it doesn't shift into high overdrive/4th gear, any suggestions?

I guess you should watch this factory training fim and others. You might 1st check the trans 10W fluid level in the side of the transmission-NOT the fluid drive coupling. Your question comes up all the time. Too many things it could be. Watch the video!

I dont think they had overdrive,I hear them called a 4 speed dual ranges but I had a 50 Chrysler and all I could come up with was 3 gears. Taking off shifting manually I would have to shift it once and then it would shift itself once and then when left in high range after stopping it would shift once starting out in second.

I dont think they had overdrive,I hear them called a 4 speed dual ranges but I had a 50 Chrysler and all I could come up with was 3 gears. Taking off shifting manually I would have to shift it once and then it would shift itself once and then when left in high range after stopping it would shift once starting out in second.

That's the 4 speeds - two in low range and two in high range. There are actually 4 different gear ratios.