1915 SD4 charging system

Hi Guys my generator seams to be over charing. Any sggestions would be appriciated. At and idle I have 2 to 3 volts, at 1000 rpm about 8 volts, at 1500 rpm 17 to 18 volts. The amps will go past 20 at 1500 rpm . The owners manuual says 7 volts at 10 mph and amps should reach 15 amps at some engine speed but should not exceed 15 amps. I have moved the third brush but it only mde about 2 volts difference at each end of the range at 1500 rpm.

Thanks Jason. I was doeing my test right off the geneator with the battery not connected. With the battery connected m readings are now in the range you suggested. My wiring is a mess and auto electrical is not one of my strong points. I learned something new today. againn thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest Big tony

Studenut1915...Im the owner of a 1915 7 pass touring that is missing a generator and was wondering if you have any spare parts or know of anyone that would have any. Im also looking for rearend gears or whole transaxles. Im in the lower 48 and have had little luck in my search so far. This is my direct e-mail. Please contact me with any info. Thank you. Tony ..maddog2020glass@yahoo.com...Im also in the Antique studebaker club forum.

In case you need the part numbers for the generator to help in your search....the Studebaker part number is 15646 and the Wagner model number is E.M. 114. According to my early parts manuals, the 1915 EC Six is the the only year and model that Studebaker used this generator on. Good luck.

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

In case you need the part numbers for the starter to help in your search....the Studebaker part number is 15646 and the Wagner model number is E.M. 114. According to my early parts manuals, the 1915 EC Six is the the only year and model that Studebaker used this starter on. Good luck.

Scott

He is looking for a generator.