Buick LeSabre T-type Wheel Mod

Guest Regalwizzard

Guest Regalwizzard

If you belong to the Lesabre Forum you have already seen this article. However, I thought this would be another great venue to showcase these wheels for my BLT. The original wheels were 15 X 6 and I wanted something a little bigger for improved handling. These started out as normal Bonneville 6510's, 16 X 7, 5 X 115mm pattern w/70.3mm center bore. I had them tested true, blasted, powder coated black, outside flange machined/polished, and clear coated.

The GNX style wheels are finished with "one-off" center caps & black lugs. The center caps was a collaborative effort between myself and another board member, "Z-type". I furnished the design idea reminiscent of the WS6 T/A center caps using the BLT RPO code “WE2” with the circumference reading “Buick Motorsports”. Z picked out period correct font, added the small power 6s (a stroke of genius – don’t tell him!) and performed all the heavy lifting of painting, appliqué, and applying enough clear the lettering is now under glass!!! The wheels are wrapped in BF Goodrich Radial T/As 235/55/16s.

GNXStyleFWD6510001.jpg

GNXStyleFWD6510002.jpg

GNXStyleFWD6510003.jpg

GNXStyleFWD6510004.jpg

GNXStyleFWD6510005.jpg

WE2.jpg

036.jpg

035.jpg

034-1.jpg

033-1.jpg

032-2.jpg

030-1.jpg

Guest Regalwizzard

Thank you Barney, Brian & Dale! Up until present I've done soft mods - the wheels, amber front turns, & the custom power "6" decals on the front fenders. All of these are, of course, reversible without much work. Given the car has only 28K on the clock & the previous owner went to great lengths to maintain the originality of the car, I'm torn when it comes to any other mods.

My last car, a 2005 Pontiac GTO which I sold in the summer of 2011, was the same. It had only 5K on it when I let her go with tasteful, yet completely reversible mods. Notwithstanding, I certainly miss the "seat of your pants" power! If I could find an OEM looking turbo set-up & address the trans weakness for handling the added horses, I would certainly give it serious consideration!

Edited by Regalwizzard (see edit history)

I like those wheels. Can you describe what goes into the machine polishing for the rims?

A few years ago we tried to polish road haze from a set of Redwind89's original T Type wheels. Here's what they looked like before we started,

dougs_wheels_ttype_001.jpg

and here's how they currently sit, although they were never used.

dougs_wheels_ttype_008.jpg

Guest Regalwizzard

Thanks John! I started locally & found Blackburn Wheel, a large wheel refinisher. However, I wasn't very happy about the price they were quoting. I then found Pro-Wheels in Detroit and through some negotiation, they provided complete services for $540. This comes out to $135 @ wheel, which included Pro-Wheels providing the core wheels, refinishing to my specs, & shipping/handling to my address. Here's the link to their site: Pro-Wheels The gentleman whom handled my order is named Mark and can be reached at 313-342-8300. Feel free to use me as a reference. -Dave

Edited by Regalwizzard (see edit history)