Spare tire question

Guest sjohnson2615

Guest sjohnson2615

I am preparing for my first national show in Feb. and am buying a set of correct bias ply whitewall tires and a second set of wheels just for the judging.

My question is should I get a fifth wheel and tire for the spare on a 1972 Corvette? For those not familiar,the spare is inside a fiberglass tub that drops down to remove it.If you look under the car,you can't see the wheel or the sidewall,but you can see a little bit of the tire tread only showing in a gap.

Should I just spend the $400 for the 5th wheel and tire? Would points be taken off since you can see that small area of tread?or would it be better to just leave the spare out for judging and let it fall under the "if you can't see it,it won't be judged " rule?

Thanks

Guest sjohnson2615
The car should be judged with the spare in place in the car. An AACA judge will not ask you to remove a cover to judge a component.

Thanks for the answer Dave,but I am just trying to understand the judging process.If the "judge will not ask you to remove a cover to judge a component" but you also say the car should "be judged with the spare in the car"

How will they judge the spare if they can't see it?And if they can't see it or judge it,should I worry about having the correct bias ply for the spare?

I am putting the bias ply tires on for the judging only and don't really want to waste an extra $400 for something that will not be seen or judged if I don't have to.

Any item that cannot be seen is presumed to be perfect for judging purposes. If is visible it is judged. If it cannot be seen it does not matter for judging purposes. If a judge can see that there is no spare, you could lose points for its absence. Although I am not familiar with 1972 Corvettes, I would assume you could put pretty much any spare in if only a small portion of the tread is visible.