1937 Marvel BD-1 Advice

dibarlaw

After checking threads on Marvels I am trying to come to grips with with a possible change over. Since carbking gave it a #2 rating out of 10 # 1 being worst. In other posts I have outlined my extream dissapointment of not having my 37 able to drive to the Buick nationals. The restoration shop did promise that it would be able to do so .... Well after 3 months of "tweaking" I am still not able to drive reliably around town. The BD-1 that was finally installed 22 years after it's rebuilding is having issues. The restoration shop said "they tuned it the best they could" but the throttle plate shaft needed rebushed and accelerator pump leathers were dried out. They did not want to do any thing else to the carb at the risk of being accused of padding the bill. Idles very rough, sputtering. My first course of action was to send out my spare BD-1 for a fresh rebuild. But after the poor comments about it's performance. It seems that would be a waste of time and money. I already have over $100 in the first rebuild plus $50 for used spare (1989 dollars). The comments in the 1937-38 Buick "Torque Tube"over the years indicate that it was serviceble but the Stromberg AAV-1 was better (ranks #4 on carbking's list). The problem is that the car is setup for the Marvel originaly. With its properly functioning Delco choke unit and vacuum switch. I would like to keep things functionally original if possible with out spending hundreds of dollars on on another adapted carb and it's matching accessories. If they can be had. But I would like to get it to the BCA nationals in 2013. The car car was driven home in 1987 and ran smooth with good acceleration. And for 2 years after with this Marvel BD-1 before I decided to start to work on the car.

Larry

Larry,

I am no expert on carbs, but I have rebuilt a few :). If the car ran and performed well in 87 I would find a way to get the carb rebuilt again, if needed, or find someone to help you determine the problem. I am thinking that there might be something else going on. Rebushing a carb is very doable by any good machine shop or pro carb rebuilder and a new throttle shaft can be made also. The price might be higher than you want to pay, but with all of the proper linkages, choke pipes etc. I would really think about keeping things stock. Hopefully others with more wxperience will chime in. Just my thoughts.

Good Luck,

Robin

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the 37's carb issue:

Each time I would start the car it would start OK and idle with some sputter. But after a short several mile run it would seem as though it was starving when stopping at a light. Realy a trial to keep it reved up to get it back to the garage. Thought about when the shop who did the work put in 1/2 tank of gas. Mid August till now. Considering condensation, evaporation and seperation of the E10 fuel, I thought I would siphon out the remaining fuel and put in fresh. Out of curiosity I checked the Ethenol Free Gas sight and found that we had a GULF station about 3 miles from my house. 89 octane @ $3.99. I got 2, 5 gallon cans filled to put some in each of my cars the 1925 and 1937.

After starting each and running a bit they both felt to be running better. So I got brave and drove the 37 to the station to fill up. Hooray part of my problem solved! Put in annother 10 gallons, but I can never take the cars out without incident. Of course when I tried to restart it flooded! So while I waited for it to clear I thought I would thank the station operator for carrying the pure gas. A knowledgeble

female clerk broke the news to me that the station will close down on tuesday! They could not compete with the 2 SHEETZ stores within 1/2 mile in both directions. Now the nearest straight gas station is in York Springs about 30 miles away. Once restarted the 37 drove home without incident. I will try to fill up the 1925-25 tomorow before the station closes. Then I can put stabilizer into something worth stabilizing.

No justice!

Larry

Guest outlaw car man

Use blue StaBil and keep as little gas in it as possible, so you have fresh vodka in there all the time. Fire it up as much as you can & run it if you can. You need to keep the float bowl full of fresh vodka ( gas, I'm kidding )

There is no cure to this gas other then keeping it running a lot. Summer is worse with high temps. run, run, run, if it sits you are in trouble.

Keep a battery tender on it so it starts great.

Not even going to say, IMHO, this is how it is with vodka in the gas.

OCM

Larry,

I can truly sympathize with you regarding the performance issues on the old Marvel Carburetors. At one point in time I was in your very same situation. I paid a huge amount of money for a Stromberg carburetor that I was going to put on my 1922 6-cylinder Buick. I am a HUGE fan of authencity and this just about made me sick to think of having a 'bastardized' Buick. I started asking questions about rebuilding the original Marvel. I forget now who it was that suggested I should talk with the folks at Classic Carburetors down in Phoenix. I called and spoke with Mark Buber and told him all about the coughing, choking, belching fits that this engine would go through. It got so bad that toward the end I could not go more than two blocks and hope to get back home without towing the car. The last time it pulled one of those 'fits' I got the car back into the shop and immediately pulled the carburetor to be sent for rebuilding. THE BEST THING I EVER DID FOR THE CAR!! About 3 months later I got back a restored Marvel Carburetor that looked so nice that I almost hated to put it back on the engine. Mark had a note in the box that asked me to call him when I got the unit unpacked and ready to install. He carefully explained just what was wrong with the unit and what they did to repair things. The MOST IMPORTANT THING that they did was flow test the unit on an engine they have at their shop. The carburetor was 'dialed in' to run perfectly. He told me to do just three things - bolt it onto the manifold, hook up the plumbing, hook up the linkage, and DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE. He told me that he would come up there and bite me on the back of the hand if I did! They did a complete rebuild on this carburetor. After getting everything hooked up and ready to go I do not mind telling you that I was scared to death to step on that starter pedal. After about two revolutions the engine caught and settled down into one of the sweetest idles that I have ever heard with a 6-cylinder Buick engine. I messed with it for awhile before easing it out of the shop onto the street. When I got into second gear that car took off like a scalded dog. I put about 20 miles on it before heading back home. The car runs beautiful now. Change the Marvel out - my advice is don't do it. Have the boys at Classic Carburetors rebuild your existing unit and you will be amazed at how well the car will run, plus, you will be money ahead and 'original'. These guys do not work on anything newer than 1955. They have rebuilt the carburetors on all three of my Buicks and I am extremely happy with their work. You can reach them at - Classic Carburetors, 3116 East Shea Boulevard, Phoenix, Arizona 85028 Phone - (602) 971-3300

Call me if you want more details. I have digital photos that I can send to you. This will truly be the best money you will ever spend on your old Buick.

Terry Wiegand

Phone/Fax - (620) 665-7672

terrywiegand@prodigy.net

Thank you Terry:

I believe I will give them a call. Then I would send them my spare. Depending on the change in preformance on my 37 I will consider sending the Marvel from my 1925 standard. Which has also been running better with the non ethanol fuel. But looks like we ane in for the "DEEP FREEZE" here in Pa. this week. So storage will now be in order.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Terry:

Took your advice and sent my 37's BD-1 to Classic Carburetors. We will see what the verdict is as the spare I sent has some damage on the top casting. I spoke with Mark Buber and felt very confident about what will be done. The 37 with the rebuilt BD-1 is still running very eraticaly. Drove about 3 miles and it stalled twice. But more inportant now is that I have to attend to the speedometer which went wild and sounded like it was about to explode before I could stop and disconnect it. Must be catchy since when I took out the 25-25 for a drive later that day it did the same thing. No rest for the wicked!

Thanks again:

Larry