I NEED A NEW DOOR REGULATOR AND NOT AVAILABLE AT ADVANCE NAPA ETC

Roadster90

Marck, that is what I thought...However I have never heard this particular noise coming from a motor so a technician looked or listened to it and said it was the regulator and posibly the motor as well.

Thanks for the reply Marck...

Nic

Edited by nic walker (see edit history)

Thanks for the replies Marck and Jim. When I get it apart I will add to or post the outcome.....from your replies I am sure it will be the motor (which I think I actually have a lifetime NAPA warranty on the motor - if I can find the invoice)

Nic

Thanks for the replies Marck and Jim. When I get it apart I will add to or post the outcome.....from your replies I am sure it will be the motor (which I think I actually have a lifetime NAPA warranty on the motor - if I can find the invoice)

Nic

Nic, last time I needed a motor, NAPA said warr was one year. Bought from Autozone w/lifetime warr. BE SURE to get R&R instructions from Ronnie's site and BEWARE THE SPRING OF DEATH!.... Jim

Nic,

I have seen several times over my 16 years of selling Reatta parts where the teeth will strip on the regulator, and this is why the window will go partially down and then stop and make noise. The gear on the motor is small and will make many revolutions before getting to the spot where the window stops and noise starts. If the motor gear turns that many times the motor gear must be good so that only leaves the regulator gear.

I did not receive an email from you but it might be in my spam filtering and I will check. Either way, I will send you an email.

P.S. Tuesday is the big day. Two great men were born that day.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Nic,

If you need a window regulator I would try Jim Finn FIRST. Get part number and try parts voice to try and locate one at a dealer. Car-Parts.com would be another choice. I did a quick check and their are a number of used ones available for around $100.

If it was me I would put in a new GM motor as well since I do not like opening up doors.

You will need a good Rivet gun I believe.

I went thru this routine a few years ago on my 89 Riviera. Passenger side. They were able to do a locator and found a new on. I believe the Passengers side goes first because it is not used as much?

BEWARE THE SPRING OF DEATH!.... Jim

Now you tell me. When I replaced mine a few months back, it was because the motor had actually fallen apart from the regulator. I also saw the spring was missing entirely ( from the previous owner's repair shop I presume ). While removing the spring from the donor regulator I had , it flew off ( stored energy theory ) and I felt a stinging on my right hand where the web is between the thumb and index finger on my left hand. When I looked down there was a major gash in the web, which allowed me to see the inner mechanical workings of that portion of my hand's anatomy. Yuck. Took 6 weeks to heal to the point of usefulness again. Be very careful.