Convertible caught cold

Booreatta

I know that there is a simple answer to my problem. The car has been sitting for several months, the battery has been unhooked. I started it yesterday and it coughed or backfired thru the aircleaner. The car started and ran normally the rest of the day. Started it again and the same thing happened. Did it several times during the day. Any ideas where to start to find the problem. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Chuck Kerls

I have had that happen when I just tap the starter instead of holding it for a second. Usually the 3800 starts "on the spark" but sometimes it coughs. My feeling is because I crouwded it. If I turn the key, wait two seconds, then fully engage the starter it is fine.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Check the fuel pressures after sitting awhile, after key is turned on but starter not engaged, then after engine started to see if they are OK.

Sounds like your system pressure is leaking down too fast, or your pump is having trouble getting the pressure up quickly enough.

Guest Richard D

Mine does the same thing Padgett's does. It usually starts so fast I get into the habit of turning it to start for too short a time, it then backfires and tries to run backwards for a second. I have learned to keep it in start longer. After a backfire event it takes about three seconds of cranking to clear out all the gases in the engine and start normally.

Mine does the same thing Padgett's does. It usually starts so fast I get into the habit of turning it to start for too short a time, it then backfires and tries to run backwards for a second. I have learned to keep it in start longer. After a backfire event it takes about three seconds of cranking to clear out all the gases in the engine and start normally.

Exactly the same thing with mine. Maybe it's something in the Florida air?

Agree on the starting issue but apparently it can do it in the north country too. It does take a small amount of time for the system to go through its verification that everything is in order to start. Usually transparent but apparently its possible to catch it just right to cause this. As a matter of fact, I have a V6 Ranger with wasted spark and crank sensor system similar to the Buick and it can do the same thing.