Special Solonoid for V12's????

rockitdoc

So, I traced a starting problem to the 6v solonoid. I thought. So, I bought another one from NAPA. Seems to work fine off the car, that is, it transfers current, but on the car, nothing. Hard wired the battery to the starter and cranks fine. Hook up solonoid, and nothing. This is a mystery to me. Any thoughts?

Thanks, in advance.

Scott<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

The stock starter solenoid, at least on my 48, picks up when you put a ground on the terminal, as from the starter button. If you got a newer Ford solenoid, they work by putting voltage on the solenoid small terminal. Is your wiring good between the stater switch and the solenoid, does the starter switch connect to ground, and is your solenoid a grounding one or a voltage one? I used a small relay to activate the newer Ford solenoid. Is yours for 12 volts?

Abe

The stock starter solenoid, at least on my 48, picks up when you put a ground on the terminal, as from the starter button. If you got a newer Ford solenoid, they work by putting voltage on the solenoid small terminal. Is your wiring good between the stater switch and the solenoid, does the starter switch connect to ground, and is your solenoid a grounding one or a voltage one? I used a small relay to activate the newer Ford solenoid. Is yours for 12 volts?

Abe

I think I figured it out. I unwittingly bought a 6v solenoid that must have been set up for voltage to the small terminal, instead of ground, to activate it. My Dad's v12 is set up to ground when the starter button is pushed. I bought another one that requires a ground to activate and it works fine. I also found that my grounds from starter to engine and the connection from the relay to the starter were not as tight as they could have been. Car now cranks, but after straining a bit at first. I'm going to search for more grounding issues, but for now, I know that the copper stud on the starter where the relay wire connects is stripped, somewhat, and does not allow for a really tight fit of the cable. I'll have to rebuild it, probably, to get a new stud on the starter with good threads on it. Ugh!

You guys are both correct. The Lincolns used a hot pull in coil that needed to be grounded at the "S" terminal to function. If I remember correctly, the mounting ears are farther apart also. Most solenoids, the pull in coil is grounded and needs power at the "S" terminal to engage. If you get in a pinch, the Ford 8N tractor used the same circuitry solenoid. If you need any parts or help, feel free to contact me.

• 2 weeks later...
You guys are both correct. The Lincolns used a hot pull in coil that needed to be grounded at the "S" terminal to function. If I remember correctly, the mounting ears are farther apart also. Most solenoids, the pull in coil is grounded and needs power at the "S" terminal to engage. If you get in a pinch, the Ford 8N tractor used the same circuitry solenoid. If you need any parts or help, feel free to contact me.

Jason,

What starter-solenoid is your picture of? The starter on my Dad's Lincoln doesn't have a solenoid on top like the one in the picture. It just has a relay between the battery and starter. So, engagement of the starter gear and the flywheel must always be in contact. I'm new to this pre war starter model, being more familiar with starter-solenoid combos like the one you show in the photos, so help me understand how a starter works apparently without a solenoid.

Scott

Scott/rocketdoc,

The starter and solenoid pictured are off a '41 Cadillac. Totally different beast. And, no the starter is not angaged at all times. If this was the case, the starter would blow up on the inside. your starter has a centrifugal drive. The spinning of the starter throws the drive out and once the engine starts and exceeds the speed of the starter it kicks the drive back out.

v12lincoln,

What Packard's do you have? All the packards that I can remember used a hot "S" terminal versus a grounded "S" terminal like were talking about here and for the Ford tractors.

Scott/rocketdoc,

The starter and solenoid pictured are off a '41 Cadillac. Totally different beast. And, no the starter is not angaged at all times. If this was the case, the starter would blow up on the inside. your starter has a centrifugal drive. The spinning of the starter throws the drive out and once the engine starts and exceeds the speed of the starter it kicks the drive back out.

Jason,

Thanks for the explanation of the clutch. That was kinda goofing me up. I figured it was something, just didn't know what.

S