1956 Ford Mainline

Guest plw1491

Guest plw1491

I inherited by grandfather's 1956 Ford Mainline Tudor this past year. The car is completely original with the exception of being repainted at some point. The I6 engine has 30K original miles with a 3 speed on the column transmission. I'm not sure what my brother and I are going to do with the vehicle since neither of us have the time to maintain it or place to store it. Can anyone provide some info on the current market value of the vehicle, desirability to collectors, and maitenance costs. Thanks!

post-89637-143139267691_thumb.jpg

post-89637-143139267634_thumb.jpg

post-89637-143139267665_thumb.jpg

I remember when 2 young guys in this neighborhood showed up with them about the same time. Both had an optional piece of stainless added on the rear fender that let the car have a white area painted on the rear fender. One was red with the white insert and one was dark green with the white insert. To a 16 year old the green was the prettier car. The owner of the green one traded it on a black '57 Skyliner and I don't really remember what became of the red one. I think they were the only ones I ever saw with the extra stainless strip and the white insert on the fender.

Nice car. Yours has a few hundred miles less than mine.

post-77797-143139268699_thumb.jpg

You try this link to get an idea what it's worth: 1956 FORD MAINLINE Value. The deductions for the 6 cyl and the 3 speed seem a bit much. The low miles should actually command a premium instead. OTH, maintaining a car like that wouldn't be any more than a modern car or maybe even less since it can all be practically DIY.

Edited by Bleach (see edit history)

My 2010 Collector Car Price Guide lists the car as worth $16,900 in absolute peak perfect condition. A nice 30K original driver like this one, assuming there are no issues that can't be seen in the photos (i.e. chassis rust, bad transmission, etc.) would probably rate a strong #2 condition which lists in this book for $11,830.

There are several online price guides you can check as well as the published references to be found in bookstores and on magazine stands. Check several to get a ballpark figure.

(BTW, you may get a few interested parties that will want to make a street rod out of this car. It's too nice for that, and you'll likely get more for it from a collector who'll preserve it as is. That person will be harder to find (or take longer to find you) normally, as there just aren't as many of the latter as there are rat-rodders these days. However it would behoove you and the car to wait for the right buyer. Good luck! :cool:)

In 1956, this car was positioned toward the lower end of the price rung. Hence, the 6-cyl. engine and manual tranny, plain interior and exterior appearance. That may hurt it in the price guides. On the other hand, in today's market, there is a premium on original, unmolested cars, and this one appears to fit that description. There may be some collectors that will appreciate the restrained use of chrome, dog dish hubcaps, i.e., cleaner appearance. Dave@Moon has a good idea about checking out the different price guides. From my experience, anything related to Old Cars Weekly will have somewhat inflated values, while anything else will go in the other direction, so you might consider the area in the middle for a price range.

Guest plw1491

Thanks guys, all the insight has been great. I was thinking the same thing regarding the value of the car. Although the car is basic with the I6 and manual trans, I would hope the low mileage and originality of the car would help offset some of those deductions. The only other issues on the vehicle that I have come across is the the paint job that was done to it was not the best - seems to be a fact-o-bake type job. Also the chrome around the exterior could use some polishing up and TLC. The engine still runs great, the brakes have been repaired since it was sitting for so long, and transmission is smooth.

Dave@moon, I have the same thought as you when it comes to finding a buyer. My goal would be to find a collector or someone who wants the car the way it is - the 1956 fresh from the factory look. Of course, once they buy it what they do is up to them. With that goal in mind, I want the car to be in the best condition possible when I show it to buyers (i.e. engine tune up, clean exterior, etc). The tires on the car now are nearly dry rotted from sitting in the garage for so long and barely hold air. Would it be worth the investment (probably $700-900) to put a new set of white-wall tires on it? I can get much cheaper tires but they are just the basic ones for the car that seem to take away from the curb appeal. Thoughts on the investment?

Thanks again guys

Guest Skyking

WOW!! what a nice car..... You would probably be better off taking that to Hershey. It would have a better chance of finding a good home from someone more into originality. It would be a waste and a shame to alter that car..............

. The tires on the car now are nearly dry rotted from sitting in the garage for so long and barely hold air. Would it be worth the investment (probably $700-900) to put a new set of white-wall tires on it?

It's a tough call on that one, but I would say no. Whitewalls on a car this stripped seem out of place, at least to me. (The Mainline wasn't "towards the bottom", it was the bottom. This was the cheapest Ford you could buy in 1956, and one of the cheapest cars period.) While they probably would add value to the car, they would add less value than they would to a more appropriate car (i.e. a Crown Vic). If you can find a old-look blackwalls (radial or bias) I think you'd get the most bang for your buck that way.

Better yet, as long as the old tires are still somewhat driveable, I'd leave the choice up to the next owner. No matter what you'll probably get back less in value than what you put out. Just be up-front about it and it shouldn't be an issue. I sure as heck wouldn't let a set of tires keep me from buying that car.:cool: