Outside Rearview Mirrors that Clamp on Door

pint4

I would like to add outside rear view mirrors to my 1935 Buick 4 door that clamp on the door edge. The problem is the lack of a gap between the door frame and the body. Most if not all mirrors that I have found have two small threaded screws without heads that hold the mirror on from the inside so the fasteners don't show. Even a short 1/4"-3/6" screw seems to be too long to fit between the door frame and door edge. Are there other designs that clamp the mirror on the door using a different method of holding the mirror in place? I prefer not drilling holes in my my body or door to attach an outside rear view mirror.

Thanks!

Email address is pint4@new.rr.com

I agree with Owen_Dyneto, a hinge style mounted mirror offers greater flexibility in it can be top of the upper hinge, be sturdier than an edge mount, and not distress the door skin of an edge mount. Jay Fisher in Central NJ makes great mirrors with hinge mount provisions, but not the special hinge pin itself. A custom hinge pin can be machined locally.

post-31549-143139263788_thumb.jpg

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

I have one on my car that has the screws even shorter than 1/4 inch. The screws are about twice as long as the metal is thick. I would think it would be easy to find shorter screws at a local supplier. I have seen screws that are no more than two threads long. You could even make your own out of a piece of threaded rod.

I like the idea of the hinge pin mirrors. What prevents them from rotating on the pin? Does anyone have a close up picture of one mounted on the car? Thanks!

Here is one on my '31 Dodge...no...it does not rotate when the door is opened.

post-37352-143139265046_thumb.jpg

I believe that these accessory "Hinge-Pin" mirrors are offerred as accessories for Fords or the era, but do fit other cars well.

The "clamp-on" type will probably damage your paint.

I have used both types on some of our cars.

You can get the hinge pin style from most Ford reproduction outfits. Bob Drake Ford V8 parts house in Grants Pass, Oregon has them.

That's all well and good unless you have rear hinged (suicide) doors. I didn't want to drill holes either, so I took a clamp on style and filed both the clamp and the heads of the socket head screws as far down as I thought I could get away with. Still had to live with dimpled areas and missing paint in the door jamb. It bothered me when first done many years ago, but I got over it. if it's a driver, you do have to see.

That's all well and good unless you have rear hinged (suicide) doors. I didn't want to drill holes either, so I took a clamp on style and filed both the clamp and the heads of the socket head screws as far down as I thought I could get away with. Still had to live with dimpled areas and missing paint in the door jamb. It bothered me when first done many years ago, but I got over it. if it's a driver, you do have to see.

No...they will not work for suicide door cars. The car in the original poster's question has to do with a four door. Since only a certain series convertible Buicks in 1935 had suicide doors, I was speaking for the masses.