1931 Plymouth PA 4 Cylinder Water Pump

dravid

Hi All

I am a junior member and need help with my restoration.

On the back plate of my water pump there is corrosion but I am not sure if the corrosion has caused it to develop into a hole or is there supposed to be a hole in that area. Please see pic for better understanding.

Thank you in advance.

post-76715-143139251242_thumb.jpg

Hi All

I am a junior member and need help with my restoration.

On the back plate of my water pump there is corrosion but I am not sure if the corrosion has caused it to develop into a hole or is there supposed to be a hole in that area. Please see pic for better understanding.

Thank you in advance.

That hole, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter, in your photo looks like the bypass hole on my '33s pump. Used to get some circulation in the block before the thermostat opens.

Thanks for this info Ply33.

Judging from the pic of my water pump is it exactly the same as yours. If so would it be available for sale to me and at what cost.

Not for sale.

First, it is not the same pump as you need for the '31. The PA and PB use one pump body, the '33 and '34 pump uses a different one.

Second: Since the '33 and '34 are different from other years I need a on hand spare: One on the car and the other rebuilt and sitting on the shelf ready to replace the one on the car. When (from experience not if) the one on the car fails, they get swapped and then I rebuild the failed one and put it back on the shelf. The alternative would be to have the car off the road while I get the parts and time to rebuild the one that failed and I don't want that, especially if I'm on a long tour.

• 7 years later...

Hi All. 1931 Plymouth PA Block4.thumb.JPG.86b4c8e453717001f1d773507db3fe78.JPGCan anyone explain why there is a large round hole in the block behind the water pump backing plate?

The square hole is for coolant circulation but I don't understand the purpose of the round hole. See attached photo.

Regards, Graham