Shipping Charges

Blue90

I believe I just hit the grandaddy of all shipping charges.

I was blowing fuses on my cruise control and couldn't trace it down.

I took my car to my local mechanic and he told me the problem is in the steering column as the wires to the wiper switch were shorting and the wires to the turn signal switch were showing signs of wear.

We couldn't find any parts locally but the garage found a warehouse in Iowa that had the parts, new, for about $200, shipped.

I decided to check gmpartsdirect.com. They claimed to have the parts for $115.76; a savings of $111.22.

Sounds great, right? Here comes the good part: Shipping, processing and handling charges came to $430.09.

Iowa, here we come.

:eek:

Guest Mc_Reatta

I believe I just hit the grandaddy of all shipping charges.

Shipping, processing and handling charges came to $430.09.

:eek:

That's why they call it highway robbery! :cool:

Kingsley,

I sent a message to gmpartsdirect.com's customer service to complain about the shipping charges. I'll let you know their reply.

Ronnie,

I'll try to get over to the garage today to get photos of the damaged parts.

As these things usually happen, I was supposed to leave today to visit friends in southern Oregon and northern California so I wanted to get this fixed as soon as possible.

Well, this is the way GM parts direct offsets the putatively "much lower" pricing of the parts. I've run into the same routine from them and one other online GM parts site some time ago, although this one is the highest S&H charge I have ever seen. On some items, it ends up saving you money, in this case they are way out of line.

KDirk

Here's their answer.

• [h=2]Re: Customer Service Request 20121031_75.164.158.115 1906‏[/h]

ReplyJunk

Mark as unread

Mark as read

Delete all from sender

Print message

View message source

Show message history

Hide message history

Show details

Hide details

invis.gif Customer Service

[TABLE]

<TBODY>[TR=class: Header]

[TD=class: ReadMsgHeaderCol1]From:[/TD]

[TD]Customer Service (customerservice@gmpartsdirect.com)[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: Header]

[TD=class: ReadMsgHeaderCol1]Sent:[/TD]

[TD]Thu 11/01/12 10:42 AM[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: Header]

[TD=class: ReadMsgHeaderCol1]To: [/TD]

[TD]KAREN FLETCHER, STANLEY HELD (stanleyheld1969@msn.com)[/TD]

[/TR]

</TBODY>[/TABLE]

Hi,

There is obviously an error in the shipping amounts on at least one of the parts in question. If you will forward the part numbers in question, we can correct the error so that you can place your order. One or all of the parts may have been discontinued and are no longer available from General Motors. When that occurs the part is automatically classed as an engine assembly and the shipping, handling and proccessing fees are that of an engine.

Our primary concern is correcting the error so that you can place an order for the parts that you want and need for your vehicle.

Thank You,

F Norton

GmPartsDirect.com

When replying to emails please include all previous email correspondences so we can better assist you.

I have ordered from them one time. It was my first and my last order. I didn't pay attention to the shipping cost when I placed a small order back in 2007. They got me for $27 on a package that I could have shipped for about $8.00. It was my fault for not catching it. It won't happen again.

If you need dealer only parts there are other websites that don't gouge you on shipping. If you need common replacement parts the Reatta Store usually has free shipping and reasonable prices on most items.

Guest Corvanti

i used them a couple times when i had my corvettes a few years ago. my biggest complaint was slow shipping - 2 weeks plus. i ass-u-me it was in-state shipping (NC) since "Flow Motors", the supposed owner of the website, is/was based here.

also wonder about their "alternate catalog". i think i had to order the parts from there, and where that was and who owned it... they were always my last online source for parts. still much cheaper than the GM dealers around here, and whatever i was looking for was never locally in stock..

at least you got a fairly quick response!

Guest Richard D

Quote "One or all of the parts may have been discontinued and are no longer available from General Motors. When that occurs the part is automatically classed as an engine assembly and the shipping, handling and proccessing fees are that of an engine. "

If that is the case, why not show the part as NLA instead of an engine?

I think Richard has it right here. Claiming an OBS/NLA part is classed as an engine assembly is a CYA excuse. In what way would that practice make any sense at all? I could maybe buy a bug in the web site programming that calculates the shipping (which as already discussed is always higher than expected no matter what part is ordered) but this story is simply bogus.

Further, GM's dealer parts database clearly calls out parts that are no longer available; I know, most of the things I call the dealer for end up being unavailable these days. Assuming the site is basing it's pricing quotations off that database then it should already know it is a discontinued part.

KDirk

Guest Kingsley

As a part owner of a Ford dealership (experience of a lifetime) in the Winston-Salem area, I knew Vic Flow of Flow Motors and he was considered "fast" at the time and it is apparent that he has carried this mentality over to the GM Parts Direct operation.

Shipping charges always seem inflated but this one is out of bounds and deserving of a report to the BBB.

Kingsley

Reatta Specialty Parts

Since I have been in the Reatta parts for quite some time I have a small book I have made up of most of the parts on a Reatta and their size and weight. When I get a request for a part I can simply look in my book and then at the USPS charts on my shelf, I printed out from the USPS both the Priority Mail charts and the Parcel Post charts. If the part is large then I can simply go to FedEx.com and put in the zip codes and get the ground costs. Unless it is a very large part such as a fender, I only charge the actual cost from those charts and no "handling"

A steering column for a '90, which I have for $ 80 would ship via the UPSP Priority Mail to say Portland OR from Duluth for $ 43 Priority Mail, $ 21 via Parcel Post or $ 24 via FedEx ground.

The best way to reach me is via a regular email.

Jim