WANTED 1930 Studebaker dictator 8, cylinder head

bifda

The Dictator Eight (221 c.i.) and the Commander Eight (250 c.i.) were basically the same engine but the Commander had a 1/2" longer stroke. Of course the 250 c.i. Commander was used in all the small Presidents after 1933. Whether the heads would interchange I don't know but they did carry a different part number.

I have a '30 Dictator with a complete 8 motor that I would possibly sell. I would hate to part the engine out. Not driven since the '50's. I am going to update the drivetrain in this car. I already have a running '30 Dictator 8 with the original 5:11 rear axle. Going that slow takes the enjoyment out of it for me. I did put a T5 trans in it with O/D which helps. With wood wheels and mechanical brakes, how fast should it be driven. Near Cincinnati.

• 1 month later...

Studeboy the enginemaybe of interest if I can get it down to Texas, can you check what numbers are cast into the head and engine.

The cylinder head on the car has the numbers "168314" followed by "1 7 24" it measures 29.75 inches long 7.5 inches wide and 2 inches high. So this is what I am looking for.

The engine block that the head is fitted to does not have an engine number, where the number should be located, is blank. The engine has "167029-2" cast in to it.

I hope this helps. Thanks

What is wrong with the head you have?

These heads cracked real bad.

I have a head from a 1931 8 cylinder that is cracked.

Have been looking for one for years and never found an uncracked one.

There are some oldtimers around that can fix them.

Robert Kapteyn

The car that the head is for was bought on ebay a few months ago, when it arrived here the engine was wet in the plug holes and wont dry out, upon starting the engine there is constantly steam coming from the exhaust even when hot. Also the head looks like it is crying, so must be thin, there is not a visible crack but the moisture just sweats out of it. The car is not mine, it belongs to s friend who doesn't use the internet much. I have 3 studebakers myself but all 6 cylinders.

The car is here in the UK, but I have a very good mate in College station, Texas who ships containers over here so anything could be sent to him so that it will go in the next container.

Thanks

Wayne

Studeboy, can you please let me know how much you are wanting for the engine, and where you are located. Does the head measure the same as my measurements above?

My email is waynesmith78 (at) hotmail.com

Where are you located? If we can do a deal would you be able to palletise the engine for me

Thanks

Wayne