Adjusting Windshield Pivots?

MikeC5

I installed the windshields on my 25 touring car yesterday and I have to say it seems the springs are just too stiff. I am afraid I'm going to break the glass when adjusting the position the ball bearings have so much resistance (especially the upper glass). I am using 3 original springs and one new one from Meyers. The Meyers spring is not as stiff and seems better suited for this. In addition, the car came with two short springs (maybe 3/4" long) and two long springs (at bit over 1" long). One of the upper springs was damaged, the reason for getting a new one. The new one is about the same length as the longer springs. Does anyone know if they have two long and two short (and are they installed in upper or lower position)?

You Brothers with touring cars, how easy is it to move the windshield on the pivots? Has anyone been through adjusting these things properly?

OK Mike, First, tip the Dodge on it's side.--------------!! I'm STILL finding ball bearings on the barn floor. It sounded like a Pachinko game when I started playing around with my '25's windshield pivots. It's missing the odd little washers, springs are mis-matched, took me all day to find enough ball bearings to make it work again. It DOES swing in & out fine, but I have my doubts if it will stay together on a bumpy road for long. I remember using a skinny screwdriver with a dab of grease to hold and place the bearings back in. I never want to do this again.

Yea I also resorted to the grease to keep the balls in place. I think I'm going to replace the other springs with new ones. Maybe the old ones age and get stiffer (kind of like me)... I had a real tough time on the upper pivots because the irons splayed out a bit and so in addition to trying to compress the stiff spring I was also trying to pull the irons closer together. I finally found a long wood clamp in the garage and held the irons with that to make it a little easier. I'll have to try backing off on the nuts some more and see if the swing effort improves.

Mike

Make sure that the balls and their tracks are well greased as well as the ends of the springs. The whole mess depends on good lubrication to overcome the spring tension when required. The nuts do not have to be fully tightened as the spring tension will stop them loosening. Just tighten them untill the sashes move with moderate pressure.