Autumn Day & '25 Dodge pictures

Pete K.

I thought I'd post some pictures of the '25 Dodge, as I had more driveway time with the engine running quite well now, although I must have a problem with that darned rack & pinion in carb, as it needs half choke to keep running. (no vacuum leaks). It was a balmy 73 degrees today, not many of them left in the late part of October here north of Boston. I compounded out the right side paint and my aching joints told me to end that for now. Going to the Registry to pay the sales tax and apply for title next week. I still need new tires, as I expect the old, right rear Firestone will go out with a BANG sometime very soon. The other tires are very old Lesters, great tread still on them but they're as hard as stone! Any ideas on proper tires for the old girl? (tight budget though). The fuel vacuum system is working great. I'm so glad I installed that Ford Model "A" stand-pipe filter in the bottom of the vacuum tank that I described in another old post. I'm sure it's doing it's thing, since I KNOW there is still some residue of rust in the gas tank that I just couldn't get out. As a proud Dodge Brothers car owner, I'll have to lower my standards now and take the little Model A downtown to buy a newspaper for my afternoon coffee. Cheers all!

I had a set of tires on my Chevrolet that were hard as a rock, I dont think they would have needed air to stay afloat. I drove the car every chance I could and never added any.

Ray, to answer your question, the bumpers on the car were actually GREEN and WHITE with corrosion when I found it. It sat in a barn only a quarter mile from the ocean and as you may know, the salt air is murder on plating. A lot of elbow grease using Noxon #7 chrome polish did the trick. I need to rub a coat of non-abrasive paste wax on them since the car is still less than a mile from the acidic sea air. The crummy upholstery seems to enjoy it though. Ray, you must be quite a machinist or metal worker to undertake a job of MAKING your own bumpers! They're 61" long, 1-3/4" wide bars 3/16" thick. Spacing is 1-3/4" between the two bars. The bumperettes are 6" tall as they overlap the bars. The 4 piece bumper BRACKETS are a nightmare of bends, angles and right /left action going on. (fronts are simpler). I have never seen one of these bumpers on E-bay before, so maybe you've got the right idea. Mike, I've been looking at the Firestone's quite a bit, also the Coker Excelsior comp V, 5.50/6.00 X 21. They are a bit larger than the Firestone tire, but I'm unfamiliar with them. Does anyone have some input about these tires???

Thanks Pete. You have done a great job on the polishing!

I would probably not choose to make bumpers from 3/16" steel. The weight must be quite considerable!!. I think 1/8" plate would be heavy enough. I expect our local steel suppliers would be able to source flat strip at near enough the right width. We have a blacksmith in the village; (Mr. Oldknow - good name eh?). He would do the basic bending of the blades and brackets. I could use the existing brackets on the front of the car but I can see problems with the rear because the brackets are missing and I also think the luggage rack would get in the way and I want to keep that.

Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself.... I need to get the vacuum tank finished but I am being held up for want of the male/female fuel line connector in the top. Got one spare?

Cheers, Ray.

Ray, I've had trouble locating these fittings for the Stewart system that Dodge used until I found a company that does sell those fittings. It is called "McMaster-Carr". You can see their catalog on-line at-"mcmaster.com". They claim to have over 490,000 items. I believe it too! As far as the rear bumper brackets go, I don't know if Dodge or an after-market company supplied different, longer brackets to use with a trunk or not. Perhaps the trunk adapted to the original brackets?

Unfortunately, McMaster - Carr will not allow access to their site and refuse to take orders from anyone other than their regular customers outside the U.S. They must be doing too well ! Many U.S. firms don't want to trade outside the U.S. and American Banks will only take Dollars. I think they should wake up and smell the coffee. "Times, they are a changing" as the saying goes.

I will examine my car's luggage rack more closely and take some more photos next time I visit the storage facility. The sooner I can get the car home, the happier I will be.

Ray.

Ray, I've had trouble locating these fittings for the Stewart system that Dodge used until I found a company that does sell those fittings. It is called "McMaster-Carr". You can see their catalog on-line at-"mcmaster.com". They claim to have over 490,000 items. I believe it too! As far as the rear bumper brackets go, I don't know if Dodge or an after-market company supplied different, longer brackets to use with a trunk or not. Perhaps the trunk adapted to the original brackets?

Do you have some part numbers for these fittings Pete?

I met a gentleman named Tim Long at Hershey recently and he had a goodly assortment of vacuum tanks/parts (mostly Stewart). I picked up a couple of fittings from him and he did mention he had lots more at home. I have his email address if you want to try that route (I'll PM it if you like).

Mike, I would appreciate it if you sent me Tim's e-mail address too. I've not ordered from McMaster-Carr yet for any fuel fittings which I need also. Jason, I don't have any part numbers, but Tim would know exactly what's needed. I would give Ray the first shot though, if Tim's stock is very limited. I can always figure out the right size from Mcm-Carr at a later date. Ray, let me know after you're done with an order from Tim.