Wanted: Updraft carburetor for a 1932 Dodge Brothers DL6

keiser31

I am posting this for a Dodge guy who lives near me...

To: Classic car lovers

From Ron Andersen 32dodgelover@gmail.com

I am searching, so far in vain, for an updraft carburetor that will fit my six cylinder 1932 Dodge. I prefer a Carter, but any brand that is either properly rebuilt or is rebuildable will be given consideration.

If you have anything like this in your garage, or have a suggestion as to where I might look, I'd be most appreciative. It's been almost a year since I've been able to drive my car because I do not have a decent carburetor. Please feel free to forward this to someone whom you think might be able to help.

Thank you for your consideration.

Ron Andersen

post-37352-143139212927_thumb.jpg

My 32 DL 6 has a tillotson JR A. Although the original DRT-8 carter carb is available on eBay for about 500. The tillotson carbs were readily used on fords of the day and are much more common and affordable. Some day I will get a DRT-8 carter with the long pump but for now to many other things.

I have Carter BB-1s on both of my 32 DLs and they have always worked flawlessly. I've seen them pop up on eBay from time to time anywhere from $50 to $300 depending on condition. I've seen restored DRT-8 carter carbs for as low as $200 but make sure it's a long pump version.

The earliest production 1932 DL used a Carter DRT-08 brass bowl updraft carburetor, tag number 215s (good luck on finding an original red cardboard tag). There are 42 different versions of the DRT-08. These differ by venturi size (air flow capability) and calibrations.

The 215s was superceded sometime early in the production year by a Carter type BB-1, tag number 6A2, which was in turn superceded later in the year by a Carter 6B2.

(Opinion) while the Carter DRT-08 is a beautiful carb when restored (black body, white zinc appurtenances, and brass bowl; it wasn't much of a carburetor. At that it was head and shoulders above the Tillotson JR (replacement) series.

The 6A2 and 6B2 were the first in the Carter BB updraft series that was used (on Chevrolet trucks) at late as 1964. These are excellent carburetor.

(Trivia) 1932 was a wonderful year in the evolution of the carburetor; as Carter released the BB-1 series, Stromberg released the SF series, and Zenith released the 63 series. All three stayed in production for more than 30 years.

Jon.