1936 Buick oil filter

Tom_S

Hey folks,

Finally getting my front end back together and starting on the assembly of other stuff too.

My 36 model 41 has an oil pump with a screen wire filter cover over it. Under this wire cover is a thick material oil filter of sorts. Anyone know where to get one or what might be a suitable substitute?

Thanks,

Tom

post-86558-143139211691_thumb.jpg

Tom, I don't think that thick material under the screen is a filter. I think it's 76 years of gunk. I don't remember exactly what this looks like but you may have to bend things a bit to take that screen off. I remember trying to clean one of these with the screen on and that's when I discovered that you could bend some tabs and remove. The stuff was set up nearly hard as coal.

Tom,

Joel is correct. You're looking at 76 years of crud. The screen will pop off so you can dig the crud out. I had the same condition on my '36. With the pick-up screen 90% plus clogged with gunk I don't know how the old gal got any oil into the pump.

David

Tom,

Can't you just soak the pad in a old coffee can full of gas, with the lid on of course, for a couple of days.

Get rid of most of the crud, and then finish it up with a good soak in MEK.

My $.02. ...... and probably worth every penny........

Mike in Colorado

Mike,

We must think alike as it is in the coffee can right now, even has a lit on it. Wife keeps wondering what I use all the coffee cans she saves for me. They have been a great help in the front end rebuild as I put nuts/bolts/parts from a particular area and label the can where they came from.

Tom

Tom,

I've even seen them wired up under the front cross member to catch the oil comming out of the front "main".

Don't know if they poured it back in when the can got full.

That would be really cheap.

Mike in Colorado

Not only cheap, but not a good idea!

Tom

David,

I am going to take it out of the gasoline today and see if it is softening the old crud buildup. May put it in thinner also. This screeen might have been some local dealers great filter idea or some local shop mechanic. I do not know where my Grandfather had the vehicle serviced. I seem to remember my Grandfather saying he had to have a piston replaced, so I believe the pan has been removed before. It must have helped as the engine has never been completely overhauled to the best of my knowledge.

Tom