runs poorly. MPG plummeted

Vincent Vega

1988. 180k.

My car started running a bit rough a of couple weeks ago. It would stumble, miss and eventually smooth out. It started throwing codes every time I drove it. I checked the codes and determined it was a bad 02 sensor(013). I also changed the plugs and wires. It helped it run better and the code 13 went away. It still gets horrible mileage. It also shows a code 42(est circuit). When I check the ecm inputs it shows cross counts at 0 and 02 sensor value of 0.0. Those are both way off. Fuel pressure holds steady at 128+. I suspect I may have a vaccuum leak at the intake manifold. Are there any other tips to help chase this down before I pull the intake manifold?

thanks, VV

Steady 128 on the fuel readings looks more like it is stuck open loop, but I don't think that would cause the dead readings on the O2 circuit. Engine coolant temperature indication? Electronic spark timing , which probably means it is running with low and fixed timing, will kill performance and mileage. What does the spark timing look like? A vacuum gauge would give a better idea of the intake manifold integrity. My guess is the ECM, as it is the common item to all readings/symptoms.

The 128 is coming from the diagnostics not a pressure gauge. With a gauge it was normal so I don't suspect fuel pressure. I did check vaccuum and it was a little high and steady 22. The loop indicator would switch off and on before I replaced the O2 sensor. It indicates closed loop now. It definately feels like a distributor with bad timing.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Check fuse #9 15 amp (C3I) first.

If good, and you properly installed the correct O2 sensor, then I also believe it to be a bad ECM.

ED07 should read about .5 volts key on engine off. If it is reading 0 volts then ECM not supplying reference voltage, or wire is shorted.

If O2 reading is sitting on zero, that is the place to start. Should be around .5 cold and moving between about .1 and .8 when cycling (cross counts not much at idle, 6-10 at 25 mph.

If O2 is bad it should not stay in closed loop.

Well, it made my mind for me. It died on the way home last night.

Scenario:

Start car, enter diagnostics. O2 at 0.0.

Open hood and wiggle some wires (intermittent check). This causes it to stumble at idle. I'll check when I get home.

Drive 2 blocks and it dies.

Cranks but won't start. Wiggle some wires try again. Crank, no start. No visible problems with cam or crank sensors.

Wait for tow truck. (odd thing. flashers won't flash unless ignition is left on. leave ignition in on position)

What the heck, try it again.

Crank, no start. loud "POP", puff of smoke. Don't try it again.

Tow truck arrives. Driver notices smoke under the hood. Holy Crap! The coil is smoking and oozing liquid.

Disconnect battery. Tow to garage.

That is where I am today.

Update. They wanted to put on a new coil. Too expensive for me(290.00). Dropped off two magnavox bricks I had in the shop. Replaced coil, engine ran(poorly), died and fried the coil. They had a spare ign module and swapped that out. Replaced coil. Started it and it ran smooth. Called me and said it was fixed. I asked if they checked the values of the O2 sensor values to see if they were normal. He said that the cars from back then didn't really use the O2 sensor for feedback and it was the computer that controlled everything. That is the exact reason I hate taking my car in for service. They did not check to see if anything else was wrong. Car runs fine, no SES = Fixed. I replaced the ign module in May with a new one. That was not cheap either. So, I get to pay them to replace an ign module and a coil.

Guest Mc_Reatta
I replaced the ign module in May with a new one. That was not cheap either. So, I get to pay them to replace an ign module and a coil.

That's what we get for sending all our manufacturing out to [insert the 2nd or 3rd world country of your choice here] to save a buck.

Now we are the only quality tester in the process. Good luck getting your money back on the old one under warranty. :mad:

Update. Picked it up. First thing I did was go into service mode. (No SES)42 current 41,42 history. Too cold to go into closed loop. Went back in. Told owner it has a code 42. He told me there is a sensor for the camshaft that is bad. "You have to replace the whole gear". I now know another place to avoid.

I told the service mgr. the series of events when I stopped off this am. He seemed disinterested in what I had to say.

His explanation(see earlier post) this afternoon confirms it.

Bottom line: Back to square one. Once home, it indicated closed loop. O2 value =0.0 Cross counts at 0. I think it runs rough. What do I know? Time to chase down a gremlin. "Bad" Ignition module has the ooze. It is a USA made module.

That's what we get for sending all our manufacturing out to [insert the 2nd or 3rd world country of your choice here] to save a buck.

Now we are the only quality tester in the process. Good luck getting your money back on the old one under warranty. :mad:

I provided the coil(s) they replaced.They toasted one.