1937 Dictator Transmissions

Guest TomB

Does anyone know if there are differences between the standard transmission on a '37 Dictator I6 and a '37 transmission equipped with overdrive? I'm wondering if the overdrive components can be added to a '37 Dictator transmission that was not originally equipped with overdrive. Thank you.

Respectfully,

TomB

I have two overdrive transmissions from 1937 Dictators.

One is for parts only (cracked case) and the other one seems O.K.

I can send one to Jerry Kurtz for evaluation.

Jerry is the only one I would trust to repair these.

I am still having health problems , so please have patience!

Robert Kapteyn

Joliet Illinois

• 7 months later...
Guest wiedena

This may make me sound inept, but how can I tell if my transmission has overdrive?

1937 Presidents

Don't worry about how you sound. None of us do and some of us are real idiots. There will be knob on the dash with a cable running down to the transmission. You also should have a switch on the throttle that engages when you floor the pedal. The transmission is also shaped differently. Your 1937 might be a little different but here is the non-OD tranny on my car:

RearMountAndCrossmember.jpg

I thought I had a picture of my OD transmisison too but I can't find it. The OD transmission is longer with a barrel shape for the planetary gears towards the tail end. A can-shaped governor sticks out of it.

Guest wiedena

OUTSTANDING!! Thank you. I was planning on turning one into a Rod and keeping one original, and wanted to keep the original one with what it came with from the factory, even if it's not OD.

~T~

OUTSTANDING!! Thank you. I was planning on turning one into a Rod and keeping one original, and wanted to keep the original one with what it came with from the factory, even if it's not OD.

~T~

Mr. T

Please do not turn a 1937 President into a rod.

Take a Dictator if you feel that you have to do so.

1937 Presidents are rare!

Robert Kapteyn

Guest wiedena

If I can keep the 2nd original, I will...but I'm not sure I've got the parts to do it justice.

Guest wiedena

As things stand that's still years in the future....I just started the frame-off and total engine/trans rebuild on the first one (And they were rescued from a field after who knows how long; but the bones are good)...Enough to keep me busy till I can tell my son that he'll have to rebuild the other one. :D