1940 Horn Problems

Guest BigDogDaddy

Guest BigDogDaddy

I've had issues with the horns on my '40 Limited for quite some time. The main issue being that the horns blare while turning, or for no apparent reason. The most embarrassing time was while exiting a car show. There was a long line to get out of the place and it was moving extremely slow. I guess my Buick became impatient because the horns started blaring. At first it was just a few short beeps, then it wouldn't stop. The other drivers probably thought I was an impatient idiot until I jumped out of the car and disconnected the horns.

I took apart the steering wheel and cleaned up everything, and adjusted the spring. I thought that was the problem as it lasted a while. Now they will occasionally blare for no reason again. A friend temporarily ran a wire to a remote button so that I have use of the horns again. This has worked well so far. My guess is that there is a short in the steering column. I have noticed that whenever someone discusses the same issue I have had, that they also installed a remote button. My friend said that he did not see a wire going into the steering column. So I am assuming that I can't just use the old wire to pull a new wire through the column as there might not be a wire at all. If that is the case, then how does the horn button provide power to the horns ?

Thanks,

Phil

p.s I don't have my factory shop manual handy to look it up, so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

I think on the 40 there is a ring/brush assy near the bottom of the column right before it goes into the steering box. On my 56S there is a terminal on the top of the column at this point. I assume on mine it is bad since someone bypassed that to a separate button on the dash. At some point I will TS this but I have other things to do first!

Cheers, Dave

Guest Grant Magrath
I've had issues with the horns on my '40 Limited for quite some time. The main issue being that the horns blare while turning, or for no apparent reason. The most embarrassing time was while exiting a car show. There was a long line to get out of the place and it was moving extremely slow. I guess my Buick became impatient because the horns started blaring. At first it was just a few short beeps, then it wouldn't stop. The other drivers probably thought I was an impatient idiot until I jumped out of the car and disconnected the horns.

I took apart the steering wheel and cleaned up everything, and adjusted the spring. I thought that was the problem as it lasted a while. Now they will occasionally blare for no reason again. A friend temporarily ran a wire to a remote button so that I have use of the horns again. This has worked well so far. My guess is that there is a short in the steering column. I have noticed that whenever someone discusses the same issue I have had, that they also installed a remote button. My friend said that he did not see a wire going into the steering column. So I am assuming that I can't just use the old wire to pull a new wire through the column as there might not be a wire at all. If that is the case, then how does the horn button provide power to the horns ?

Thanks,

Phil

p.s I don't have my factory shop manual handy to look it up, so I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Well, I'm no expert, but I am an impatient idiot!

On the coupe, the horn wire through the centre of the column comes out down by the steering box in the way that Dave says, but most likely, your problem will lie in the column wire grounding itself somewhere in the column. That's because the horn wire is live all the time, and when you push the horn button, it completes the ground, and the circuit. Horn trouble can be a real PITA to track down! One step at a time, and by process of elimination, and you'll get there!

Cheers

Grant

Big Dog:

Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting this querry. My 37 special just came back from the shop for a driver restoration and is doing the same thing. All new wiring harness. They said that it seemed that it gave a bit of a shock when touching the horn button/ring?(one spoke was broken). To me that would indicate a dead short at times. They did put in a new horn relay. They also had the battery disconnected while in transit (2hr). Reconnected battery, then cranking over much slower than I remember. Engine starts and runs very well. It was put in the garage and they disconnected the battery again. (I know...I know I should have asked, ..why?). Later I reconnected the battery and fired it up to take a short drive. Got to drive it for the first time in 25 years!! It ran and drove very well. Till we stopped at a red light and it just shut off. Battery dead! Had to tow it home! We will have to keep tweaking. Get out my meter and start checking for those shorts.

Larry

I think on the 40 there is a ring/brush assy near the bottom of the column right before it goes into the steering box. On my 56S there is a terminal on the top of the column at this point.

Cheers, Dave

Dave is spot on here. The first thing I'd check as it's easy to do is remove that terminal cover (2 screws if I recall) and check that the insulation block is OK. The current runs through that to the ring/bush and if it has broken, decayed...etc it will short to the column and sound the horns. Especially when you turn the steering wheel.

Danny

Thanks for the info ! So then, can I just attach a new wire to the old wire at the bottom of the column and pull the new wire through ?

That may not be so easy with the steering column in situ. The wire down the center comes out at that ring/bush and is soldered to it. I did mine when I had the column apart but I would imagine that it would be a mongrel of a job to do with the column still in the car. I guess that's why I've seen a lot of older cars with a momentary push button on the dash.

Danny

Guest BigDogDaddy

Thanks everyone for the great info. Now I feel more confident I will be able to get to the bottom of my horn problems. ( Was that a pun in there ? )

That is why I love this site !