HELP!!! 1936 Dodge truck 1 1/2 ton king pins

Guest Fast Four Special

Guest Fast Four Special

HELP!! I've been looking everywhere for a kingpin kit for my '36 Dodge 1 1/2 ton truck

post-64921-143139169713_thumb.jpg.

I've tried everywhere I can think of - Vintage power wagons, Andy Bernbaum. Kanter, Rare parts... etc, etc.

Can anyone help!?!?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

If you can find a good old NAPA store other other "real"parts store they should be able to take measurements of the king pins and match them to new parts. You will have to find a counterman who can actually look something up but Allied used to have crossreference books that showed dimensions on parts in king bolt kits , there might be a late model set you can rob!

Pete, If you can't find new king pins, I've found it can work if you've got "OK" pins and you can put in new brass or bronze king pin bushings in the axle knuckles, oversize if needed, then ream them to your king pins.

Pete,

those king pin bushings - who supplied them or did you turn up your own?

thanks,

Ray.

Guest Fast Four Special

I went to my local Napa where I was promptly laughed out of the store. I also call Rare Parts and everyone else on the planet now that I have the part numbers. No luck. Since patience isn't in my vocabulary, I took machinist bill's suggestion and ordered a section of hardened chrome rod and impregnated bronze bushings from McMaster-Carr today. The rod is .010 bigger than stock but it will be easy to ream the spindle for the oversized rod (yes it's backwards from what I'm used to on cars). Reaming the axle for the bigger bushings without removing it from the truck (which I am not going to do regardless of how many people call me a hack) is going to be a bit trickier. Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it turns out!

FYI, part numbers, in case anyone is interested are~

King pins - 314835

Upper bushings - 574028

Lower bushings - 574029

Thrust bearing - 50321

Is this what you need? There may be some usable interchange numbers here:

Permite part # KA 817B. ALSO: McQuay Norris # KA 41, OR: Toledo Steel /Thompson # K-85

Included in the King Pin Kit are 2 king pins, 2 lock pins, 2 bearings, 4 bushings (two sizes), 12 plugs (three sixes), and 4 metal shims.

The king pins have a length of 6 1/4" and have a painted casting number of K694 on them.

1932 Chrysler...8 cylinder Model CP

1933 Chrysler Royal.....8 cylinder, Model CT

1933 Chrysler Imperial.....8 cylinder, Model CQ

Dodge Truck.....1936, 1937, 1938, 1939...

TE20-21-22-30-31-32

TF35-36-37-38-39

RE31 USA

LE15-16-17-20-21-22-30-31-32

ME15-16-17-20-21-22-30-31-32

RE15-16-17-20-21-22-30-31-32

LF28-35-36-37

MF28-35-36-37-38-39

RF35-36-37-39RFD38

LE31USA, LE32USA, LF37NC

post-67404-143139180863_thumb.jpg

post-67404-14313918083_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143139180846_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143139180855_thumb.jpg

Holy cow! They sold for $202.50 on eBay. NORS King Pin Kit, 1932 1933 Chrysler CQ CT CP, 1936 1937 1938 1939 Dodge Truck | eBay

I bid $200. I NEVER thought they would go that high! Keep your eyes open for another set fellas. Thanks!

ebay is something else , i seen a few things i thought i could buy but to only find out someone without sense bid it way higher than what it was worth . the truck front end is here if ever you want it , maybe it will be of some use

Jen

That same King Pin Set will pop up for sale by our favorite e-Pay seller "fmmpar" in a few weeks or so I betcha!

Here is a study in how to create a monopoly...

Go to eBay - Find desirable parts - Put in sniping bids at astronomical prices (just because "you can") - Win ALL parts you go after - Put them up for sale in a few weeks on your eBay Store for those SAME astronomical prices - Wait for desperate soul or "Mr Deep Pockets" to pay your exorbitant price - Make big money (at the expense of the little guy just trying to make his car work). - REPEAT from step one.

All parts this guy removes from the market become locked up in his store room until HE feels it is right to "RELEASE" them (and make large profit in the process). None of these parts are available till then.

Here is this guy's current user name and number of transactions for "AMS Obsolete" - formerly "Mitchell's Motor Parts": fmmpar|47965 |

Here is the bidders hidden ID and that person's number of transactions at the time of the sale of this item that sold for $202.50: m***m (47965iconShootTeal_25x25.gif) Sep-21-12 17:59:53 PDT

ISN'T THAT REMARKABLE!

And another interesting thing, check out the:

30-Day Bid History for "m***m"

post-67404-143139183446_thumb.jpg

What the chart shows here is that "m***m" pretty much only snipe bids (less than 1 hour left in auction for this winning bid). He only bought from 6 different sellers in the last 30 days. All-in-all not much effort put into this "business". Made 38 purchases with 40 bids, which are probably done with a "robo-bidder" software. Then resells the stuff for off the wall prices when he feels like putting them out there in his "Store".

The trick is to grab as many parts as possible (I'm gonna guess this is all NOS or NORS parts by what he sells) both from eBay sellers AND guys that have come into large parts groupings that hear of his goofy purchasing prices who will then sell him "ALL" their stock.

And we "little guys" on the outside of this monopoly process get "screwed".

ALL OF THIS INFO IS READILY AVAILABLE IF YOU JUST LOOK AT THE PUBLIC INFORMATION SHOWN BY E-BAY.

I am ONLY bring this to light for the readers of this forum. They should know - and make their own evaluations.

It is all quite obvious to me.

I agree that this behavour is pushing up prices but on the other hand, it takes two to tango. I have always evaluated the item that I wish to bid for and stuck to my guns even if it means loosing out on the part. In any auction, be it for property, fine arts or cars there will be a point at which the item on offer will either sell or be withdrawn. Market forces will establish the outcome one way or the other whether we like it or not. Of course you are right in that there are individuals who will profit from our hobby and that is a shame but I am afraid that is how the game is being played out these days. Well done to you in drawing attention to particular dealers. It's up to individual bidders to decide whether or not they wish to play their game but as we know, there will always be someone fall into the trap.

I say decide from the outset how much you think the part is worth to you and stick to it.

Ray.

Guest Fast Four Special

I would have been happy to pay more. I needed those darn things so daggone bad, I'd have paid twice that. I just never imagined they would sell for over $200, considering they were at $48 when I left the house an hour before auction end. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for your support. Keep looking!!

Guest Fast Four Special

PS ~ What REALLY bums me out is that I've spent ALOT of money with "fmmpar" myself over the years! Karma... or should I say CARma.

Guest Fast Four Special

post-64921-143139186453_thumb.jpg

I broke down and decided to make my own. Not perfect, given that I don't have a machine shop and did them with a bench and die grinder, but they will work just fine... and much, much more satisfying! :D

Edited by Fast Four Special
spelling (see edit history)

Guest Fast Four Special

Thanks! I'm all over it. The photo wasn't the finished product. I hit the edges with a scotchbrite disc once the grooves were finished. Thanks for looking out for me though. Pins and bushings are now done. Today's search is for the thrust bearings and shims. Hoping I can source them locally so I can get it mobile and finish the service bed before the snow flies. Thanks again!

Edited by Fast Four Special
grammar (see edit history)

I broke down and decided to make my own. Not perfect, given that I don't have a machine shop and did them with a bench and die grinder, but they will work just fine... and much, much more satisfying! :D
Excellent "Fast Four"! Way better than this idea: 1930 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 Dodge Truck 1931 32 33 Imperial NORS Kingpin SET | eBay I might say!!!

post-67404-14313918682_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1936 D2 (see edit history)

I agree that this behavour is pushing up prices but on the other hand, it takes two to tango. I have always evaluated the item that I wish to bid for and stuck to my guns even if it means loosing out on the part. In any auction, be it for property, fine arts or cars there will be a point at which the item on offer will either sell or be withdrawn. Market forces will establish the outcome one way or the other whether we like it or not. Of course you are right in that there are individuals who will profit from our hobby and that is a shame but I am afraid that is how the game is being played out these days. Well done to you in drawing attention to particular dealers. It's up to individual bidders to decide whether or not they wish to play their game but as we know, there will always be someone fall into the trap. I say decide from the outset how much you think the part is worth to you and stick to it. Ray.

I'm sure the thrust of your post is the bold part above, but I beg to differ on the point of "market forces". This seller is creating his OWN "market forces" by trying to monopolize the market as I described in post #14. The normal "forces" in this case would have shown the part to be of interest to two normal bidders as I recall. The pricing would have been what the rest of us would have expected as normal "market forces" at this point in time (a high of around $50.00). But THAT is not what occurred here (and I would hazard a guess on any other auction "fmmpar" feels he would like to "monopolize"). The ONLY way he will lower prices is if NO ONE in the world purchases the parts from him until the price drops to the "normal expected" market area. Well, as we all know THAT will never happen. So, he is using a business model that is designed to tip the scales totally in his favor.

I have decided for myself to NEVER purchase parts from "fmmpar" because of these "controlled market forces" tactics. I will patiently wait, and find the parts from another source. I realize that will become harder and harder as time passes, again, because of his monopoly, but I hope it will become a pressure for him to have to store many of these horded parts in perpetuity.

One can only hope. :P

I'm sure the thrust of your post is the bold part above, but I beg to differ on the point of "market forces". This seller is creating his OWN "market forces" by trying to monopolize the market as I described in post #14. The normal "forces" in this case would have shown the part to be of interest to two normal bidders as I recall. The pricing would have been what the rest of us would have expected as normal "market forces" at this point in time (a high of around $50.00). But THAT is not what occurred here (and I would hazard a guess on any other auction "fmmpar" feels he would like to "monopolize"). The ONLY way he will lower prices is if NO ONE in the world purchases the parts from him until the price drops to the "normal expected" market area. Well, as we all know THAT will never happen. So, he is using a business model that is designed to tip the scales totally in his favor.QUOTE]

I quite understand how you arrive at the conclusion you have but this practice is as old as the hills.

It's a shame that this "bottling" of desirable parts is happening in our hobby, but Ebay is a world market and subject to disproportionate intervention from single traders or cartels who will try (and sometimes succeed) in 'bucking the market' to suit themselves.

Ray.