Korean War chrome

Guest CR*71

This is a copy of a post I made earlier on ClassicOldsmobile.com, and I'm interested if anyone has any additional info. I recently got a 53 Olds 98 and was going through some of the original paperwork that came with the car this weekend and found this tag. I've read about lower quality chrome plating on cars of this year model due to the Korean War and decided to post it. Most of the chrome on my car is in great shape, but the bumpers are rather eaten up and I thought it might be due in part to the thin or nickel-free plating I've read about. However, the tag seems to suggest that bumpers were excluded. Anyway, just one of the interesting things I'm finding under the original seat covers.

post-87886-143139167293_thumb.jpg

I just posted an article about spray on chrome featured on Jay Leno's Garage. It's somewhat similar in care as these pieces, being thatthe finish is then clear coated for protection, but it may end up being a good resource for members. Hmmm, maybe I should make this it;s own thread, seems it could benefit many folks on here.

Moto Arigato: Finally! A Cheaper and Easier Way to Replicate Chrome

hi, without the nickel plating, you wouldn't have the color that you think is chrome, in regular plating process, 1st is copper plating, 2nd is nickel plating, 3rd and last is chrome plating, chrome is clear, protects the nickel plating from dulling over time. in the 1953 pontiacs, the grill parts were subjected to a different process, after the nickel plating was done, the grill parts were factory sprayed with a laquer coating to replace the missing chrome plating. new 1953 pontiac buyers were instructed not to use regular abrasive chrome polish, but to just wash and dry the laquer coated grill brightwork as it was called. i have a complete nos collection of the 1953 pontiac grill parts that i will be sending out to be stripped and properly replated with high quality copper/nickel/chrome plating. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.