TH 350 to Nailhead

The nailhead has a unique bellhousing that NO other trans will bolt to. So, here is the skinny.........<BR>'57 to '63 364/401 will only accept a dynaflow. With a little modification you can bolt a ST300 or ST400 to it. <P>The ST300 (two speed, and NOT a powerglide) and ST400 (Buicks version of the TH400) were used from '64-'66. They are your best bet. The ST400 used in '65-'66 are the best. The ST300 was used in Gran Sports and are a little hard to find. <P>What year nailhead is it you are working with?

• 2 years later...

I have heard about the 64-65 th400 hook-up to 364---what are the modifications to make this set-up work. Is there a adapter plate or is it simpler than that. The reason I am asking is I am in the process of redoing the driveline on my 57. Upgrading to 700R with adapter or this system you are talking about--it sounds a little cheaper if you don`t have to use the adapter. I always liked the old switch pitch tranny.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are currently working on a '40 Super 4 dr Sdn which we are repowering with a 401 bored .60, we are using a modified cam, (mild) stock carburation (AFB)and a HEI ignition. We are using a '66 Buick 400 turbo switch pitch trans and a '65 Buick Riveria diff.

I had the trans completely rebuilt including a rebuilt converter which cost me $900.

The fellow that is doing the mechanical work has used this combonation many times so I figure stay with a winner.

I purchased 3 Riveria's as donners for engines/trans, turned out the trans were all good where-as the engines were junk that is why we went with a 401, it still had room for a bore job.

I have a spare trans that is in good shape, it is for sale....Bill

This is a correction to my posting on 1/1/05....

The trans I am using in my '40 is out of a '67 Riv as is the spare trans I have.

We are using the earlier '65 Riv diff because it is narrower that the '67. We wanted to use the 425 CID engine out of the '67 but as I said they were junk. I still have one more '67 Riv that is a unmolested one owner car that I can't bring myself to part out yet....Bill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I Read with interest your comments about engine and trans combo for your '40. I was thinking about putting a Nailhead in my '40 Century because the trans is bad and I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement trans (supers and specials apparenly will not fit). I want to go low dollar as is this car would be considered a beater or rat rod at best. You said you were putting a Riv rear end in yours, any problem with width? I've been looking for a doner car but so far no luck in my price range. I've also thought about upgrading the straight eight with some performance stuff and would like to put in a floor shifter trans like a '38, do you know about any interchange possibilities there?