Question about installed blinkers

Guest bofusmosby

Guest bofusmosby

I installed after market blinkers on my car a couple of years ago, and I can't remember what size fuse it called for. I noticed that the fuse is now open, and it was a 15 amp fuse that I had put in. Typically, how much currect does the blinkers draw? I have a feeling that I have an intermittent short somewhere, but so far, I haven't been able to find it. I could always put in a higher rated fuse, but if I have a short, then that will just cause more problems, and serious ones at that.

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys. One thing I failed to mention was the afct that the last time I took my car to the shop, the blinkers were out, and replacing the fuse restored operation. BUT 2 fuses in a short amount of time is just not right. Of course since my car is a 6 volt system, then the current draw might be higher on mine.

Jim,

Higher than a 12 volt system... probably, but still not near 15A. Look for the short. Pay particular attention to areas where the wiring goes through the body pannels or around the edges of metal. It really does not take much to scuff the insulation on a wire and vibration will cause it to come and go.

keep us posted.

Guest bofusmosby

Thanks guys. I had thought that 15 amp would be more than enough. I used a double layer of heat-shrink tuning on all connections, so I doubt the problem is there. However, I agree that there MUST be a spot of bare wire intermittently shorting out somewhere. I need to investigate further.